GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Deadheading Rhodedendrons? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/144138-deadheading-rhodedendrons.html)

tom&barbara 15-05-2006 08:25 PM

Deadheading Rhodedendrons?

Can anyone tell me how much of the flower I need to take off?

Is it the whole flower head or just the petals which drop off very
easily in one piece?

Thanks
Gail

Chris Hogg 16-05-2006 06:31 PM

Deadheading Rhodedendrons?

On 15 May 2006 12:25:06 -0700, "tom&barbara"
wrote:

Can anyone tell me how much of the flower I need to take off?

Is it the whole flower head or just the petals which drop off very
easily in one piece?

Thanks
Gail

It's the whole flower, including the seed capsules at the base of the
stamens. The best way is to grasp the whole flower and twist and bend
it at the same time, so the flower breaks away just at its base. But
be careful, because on the stalk just below the base are the emerging
buds for this year's new growth, and you don't want to damage those if
you can help it.

--
Chris

tom&barbara 16-05-2006 10:27 PM