GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Red mite in me compost! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/144242-red-mite-me-compost.html)

Jewels 17-05-2006 07:56 PM

Red mite in me compost!

Hi,

I've got a large compost bin and have been merrily filling it over the last
six or so months.

I opened the bottom hatch yesterday to see how it was getting on and it was
teaming with red mite. I keep chickens and sometimes put their spent
bedding into the compost bin, I think this is how they have been introduced.

Is it a problem? Need I worry about it?

Jewelsx

Currently Undergoing Much Needed Restoration
lol

androo 18-05-2006 12:02 PM

Red mite in me compost!

No. There are lots of little red things, almost all of which are quite
harmless. Chicken mites will not live for long (in their mobile stage)
in the absence of a host, so it is probably something else.

If they're the really tiny ones (clover mites) they're harmless.

Androo