Old 18-05-2006, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stella @ stejonda

Default Tadpoles not growing legs

Hi

For the second year running the many tadpoles in my pond are failing to
grow legs and complete their transformation into frogs. Has anybody any
idea why this might be? Last year they just all died after lasting as
tadpoles well into the summer.

Stella
--
stella @ stejonda
Old 18-05-2006, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

Stella wrote in message:

For the second year running the many tadpoles in my pond are failing to
grow legs and complete their transformation into frogs. Has anybody any
idea why this might be? Last year they just all died after lasting as
tadpoles well into the summer.

Seems time enough yet for them still to be legless!

We feed ours those little stick things you can buy by the scoopful at our
local market. (fish food) That seems to provide the taddies with their
leg -making protein and its fun to watch them all pushing the sticks round
the pond as they nibble!

Sue W.

Old 18-05-2006, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

"Sue" wrote in message
news

Stella wrote in message:

For the second year running the many tadpoles in my pond are failing to
grow legs and complete their transformation into frogs. Has anybody any
idea why this might be? Last year they just all died after lasting as
tadpoles well into the summer.

Seems time enough yet for them still to be legless!

We feed ours those little stick things you can buy by the scoopful at our
local market. (fish food) That seems to provide the taddies with their
leg -making protein and its fun to watch them all pushing the sticks round
the pond as they nibble!

Sue W.

Could those 'little stick things' be dehydrated legs ;-)) ?

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Old 18-05-2006, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dave @ stejonda

In message , Sue
writes

Stella wrote in message:

For the second year running the many tadpoles in my pond are failing to
grow legs and complete their transformation into frogs. Has anybody any
idea why this might be? Last year they just all died after lasting as
tadpoles well into the summer.

Seems time enough yet for them still to be legless!

We feed ours those little stick things you can buy by the scoopful at our
local market. (fish food) That seems to provide the taddies with their
leg -making protein and its fun to watch them all pushing the sticks round
the pond as they nibble!

Thanks Sue. I shall be off to the pet shop tomorrow. I think they should
at least be starting to grow back legs?

Stella
--
dave @ stejonda

Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy. Anne Frank
Old 18-05-2006, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chezza

Hi all

My mum has some tadpoles (courtesy of her next door neighbour) in a
large pyrex dish for my Daughter to see when we visit. Mum and Dad
feed them worms from the garden and occaisionally a little breadcrumbs,
they eat it before for the day is out and they seem to be doing very
well. They also have some of the green plant that goldfish and other
pond fish like to eat and love to eat it throughout the day.

Of the 20 or so that they have, about 5 or 6 have visible legs but you
can see the beginnings of many more legs on others growing.

Hope your tads flourish andgrow into healthy frogs. :-))))

Cheryl

Old 18-05-2006, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian

"stella @ stejonda" wrote in
message ...
Hi

For the second year running the many tadpoles in my pond are failing to
grow legs and complete their transformation into frogs. Has anybody any
idea why this might be? Last year they just all died after lasting as
tadpoles well into the summer.

Stella
--
stella @ stejonda

~~~~~~~~~~~~
This can be due to a deficiency of thyroxin[growth hormone]~~ caused
by a lack of Iodine [a basic ingredient of thyroxin]. The condition is
known as 'neotany' and in some exotic amphibians never lets them
metamorphose to reach their final stage.
A single drop of iodine in the pond should/could make a difference.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 18-05-2006, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

Stella wrote in message:

For the second year running the many tadpoles in my pond are failing to
grow legs and complete their transformation into frogs. Has anybody any
idea why this might be? Last year they just all died after lasting as
tadpoles well into the summer.

then
Sue wrote

Seems time enough yet for them still to be legless!

then Mike wrote

Could those 'little stick things' be dehydrated legs ;-)) ?

Now Sue says

Almost certainly , now I come to think of it! I wonder if you can get little
dried shoes for them too....or being fish food maybe skates?

Old 18-05-2006, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"dave @ stejonda" writes
In message , Sue
writes

Stella wrote in message:

For the second year running the many tadpoles in my pond are failing to
grow legs and complete their transformation into frogs. Has anybody any
idea why this might be? Last year they just all died after lasting as
tadpoles well into the summer.

Seems time enough yet for them still to be legless!

We feed ours those little stick things you can buy by the scoopful at our
local market. (fish food) That seems to provide the taddies with their
leg -making protein and its fun to watch them all pushing the sticks round
the pond as they nibble!

Thanks Sue. I shall be off to the pet shop tomorrow. I think they
should at least be starting to grow back legs?

Whereabouts in the country are you? Where is the pond situated - how
warm or cool a part of your garden? When did the frogspawn arrive?

None of our taddies have legs yet, and I'm not expecting them to.
--
Kay
Old 19-05-2006, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"chezza" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all

My mum has some tadpoles (courtesy of her next door neighbour) in a
large pyrex dish for my Daughter to see when we visit. Mum and Dad
feed them worms from the garden and occaisionally a little breadcrumbs,
they eat it before for the day is out and they seem to be doing very
well. They also have some of the green plant that goldfish and other
pond fish like to eat and love to eat it throughout the day.

Of the 20 or so that they have, about 5 or 6 have visible legs but you
can see the beginnings of many more legs on others growing.

Hope your tads flourish andgrow into healthy frogs. :-))))

Cheryl

But toad tadpoles are not so far advanced are they? mine are still at the
feeding on the old jelly in one place stage.
Both frogs and toads were late this year down here.
But to answer the question of no legs, its probably not enough food at the
right time.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 19-05-2006, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jupiter

On Thu, 18 May 2006 19:34:45 GMT, "Sue" wrote:

Stella wrote in message:

For the second year running the many tadpoles in my pond are failing to
grow legs and complete their transformation into frogs. Has anybody any
idea why this might be? Last year they just all died after lasting as
tadpoles well into the summer.

Seems time enough yet for them still to be legless!

We feed ours those little stick things you can buy by the scoopful at our
local market. (fish food) That seems to provide the taddies with their
leg -making protein and its fun to watch them all pushing the sticks round
the pond as they nibble!

Sue W.

The crows which are in the habit of pulling out and killing adult
frogs from my pond also favour dropping in chicken bones, bits of meat
and bread and such like which they have scavenged wherever. These
items attract a heaving mass of tadpoles, denuding the crow larder. Of
course, being intelligent birds, the crows may have worked out that if
they feed the tadpoles there will be more frogs for them in due
course.

Old 19-05-2006, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dave or stella @ stejonda

In message , K
writes

Whereabouts in the country are you? Where is the pond situated - how
warm or cool a part of your garden? When did the frogspawn arrive?

I am in Orpington, Kent on the edge of Greater London. The pond is
situated in a sheltered position so it would be warmish. The frogspawn
came early March.

None of our taddies have legs yet, and I'm not expecting them to.

OK. Well this is reassuring. Thanks.

Stella

--
dave or stella @ stejonda
Old 19-05-2006, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dave or stella @ stejonda

In message . com,
chezza writes
Hi all

My mum has some tadpoles (courtesy of her next door neighbour) in a
large pyrex dish for my Daughter to see when we visit. Mum and Dad
feed them worms from the garden and occaisionally a little breadcrumbs,
they eat it before for the day is out and they seem to be doing very
well. They also have some of the green plant that goldfish and other
pond fish like to eat and love to eat it throughout the day.

Of the 20 or so that they have, about 5 or 6 have visible legs but you
can see the beginnings of many more legs on others growing.

Hope your tads flourish andgrow into healthy frogs. :-))))

I have helped rear tadpoles in an aquarium indoors, feeding them boiled
lettuce. They grew quickly, probably too quickly. I shall add your tips.
Thanks.

Stella
--
dave or stella @ stejonda
Old 19-05-2006, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"dave or stella @ stejonda"
writes
In message , K
writes

Whereabouts in the country are you? Where is the pond situated - how
warm or cool a part of your garden? When did the frogspawn arrive?

I am in Orpington, Kent on the edge of Greater London. The pond is
situated in a sheltered position so it would be warmish. The frogspawn
came early March.

That's not particularly early. Mine were only a couple of weeks later.
Normally we're towards the beginning of march and I wouldn't look for
legs till a bit later than this.

--
Kay
Old 20-05-2006, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dave or stella @ stejonda

In message , Charlie
Pridham writes

But toad tadpoles are not so far advanced are they? mine are still at the
feeding on the old jelly in one place stage.
Both frogs and toads were late this year down here.
But to answer the question of no legs, its probably not enough food at the
right time.

Charlie

So are you thinking that putting a fish stick in now is too late?

Stella
--
dave or stella @ stejonda
Old 21-05-2006, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

So are you thinking that putting a fish stick in now is too late?

Stella
--
dave or stella @ stejonda

Fish stix should go down very well: not too late at all.

Appetite makes the best sauce.

Sue W.

tadpoles without legs Neil Hewitt Ponds (alternative) 0 25-10-2009 03:09 PM
Tadpoles not growing into frogs Pete Thomas Ponds (alternative) 17 30-08-2006 09:16 PM
Still got tadpoles with no legs! Chainhome Ponds 11 22-09-2005 05:44 AM
Legs is cool Larry Smith Lawns 0 05-05-2003 01:56 AM
Legs is cool Larry Smith Lawns 0 28-03-2003 08:20 AM