GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Yet another plant query (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/144337-yet-another-plant-query.html)

louisxiv 19-05-2006 12:16 PM

Yet another plant query

I bought this recently, sold to me as Eryngium (Blue Sea Holly) but it looks
nothing like the way the plant is meant to.

http://i4.tinypic.com/1042mmu.jpg

Is this what it's meant to look like at this stage? I know some plants are
very different as initial shoots to what they end up looking like and I
don't want to make an ass of myself by complaining unneccessarily!

xiv

La Puce 19-05-2006 12:31 PM

Yet another plant query

louisxiv wrote:
I bought this recently, sold to me as Eryngium (Blue Sea Holly) but it looks
nothing like the way the plant is meant to.
http://i4.tinypic.com/1042mmu.jpg
Is this what it's meant to look like at this stage? I know some plants are
very different as initial shoots to what they end up looking like and I
don't want to make an ass of myself by complaining unneccessarily!

My mate pass this to me a while ago and thought this might help you in
the future. Also you do have Eryngium :o)

http://theseedsite.co.uk/seedlings5a.html

louisxiv 19-05-2006 12:47 PM

Yet another plant query

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

louisxiv wrote:
I bought this recently, sold to me as Eryngium (Blue Sea Holly) but it
looks
nothing like the way the plant is meant to.
http://i4.tinypic.com/1042mmu.jpg
Is this what it's meant to look like at this stage? I know some plants
are
very different as initial shoots to what they end up looking like and I
don't want to make an ass of myself by complaining unneccessarily!

My mate pass this to me a while ago and thought this might help you in
the future. Also you do have Eryngium :o)

http://theseedsite.co.uk/seedlings5a.html

Thanks for that!

Jupiter 19-05-2006 12:49 PM

Yet another plant query

On Fri, 19 May 2006 12:16:24 +0100, "louisxiv"
wrote:

I bought this recently, sold to me as Eryngium (Blue Sea Holly) but it looks
nothing like the way the plant is meant to.

http://i4.tinypic.com/1042mmu.jpg

Is this what it's meant to look like at this stage? I know some plants are
very different as initial shoots to what they end up looking like and I
don't want to make an ass of myself by complaining unneccessarily!

xiv

Looks like a Brassica seedling. See if it turns out as Purple
Sprouting Broccoli, Cabbage or Bruseels Sprout.. They all look much
the same at that size.

[email protected] 19-05-2006 01:39 PM

Yet another plant query

Eryngiums have a basal rosette of leaves and then send up a flower
spike that has the traditional spiky leaves. Some eryngiums have leaves
that are, in any case, not that spiky.

[email protected] 19-05-2006 01:59 PM

Yet another plant query

La Puce wrote:
louisxiv wrote:
I bought this recently, sold to me as Eryngium (Blue Sea Holly) but it looks
nothing like the way the plant is meant to.
http://i4.tinypic.com/1042mmu.jpg
Is this what it's meant to look like at this stage? I know some plants are
very different as initial shoots to what they end up looking like and I
don't want to make an ass of myself by complaining unneccessarily!

My mate pass this to me a while ago and thought this might help you in
the future. Also you do have Eryngium :o)

http://theseedsite.co.uk/seedlings5a.html

Nice pictures!!
I agree; his seedling does look like Eryngium!

La Puce 19-05-2006 02:09 PM

Yet another plant query

wrote:
Nice pictures!!
I agree; his seedling does look like Eryngium!

I thought maybe the alpine variety, but leggy ;o)

Emery Davis 19-05-2006 03:51 PM

Yet another plant query

"louisxiv" wrote:

I bought this recently, sold to me as Eryngium (Blue Sea Holly) but it looks
nothing like the way the plant is meant to.

http://i4.tinypic.com/1042mmu.jpg

Is this what it's meant to look like at this stage? I know some plants are
very different as initial shoots to what they end up looking like and I
don't want to make an ass of myself by complaining unneccessarily!

Yup, Eryngium. I grow it in a border, that's what it looks like very early
in the year, except mine is a bit thicker by now. Lovely plant.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Sue 19-05-2006 05:32 PM

Yet another plant query

"Emery Davis" wrote
Yup, Eryngium. I grow it in a border, that's what it looks like very
early in the year, except mine is a bit thicker by now. Lovely plant.

Yes, probably Eryngium planum - tall stems with sprays of spiky blue
flowerheads that individually are smaller than some other eryngium
flowers, but you get masses of them. I had a really good deep blue form
from Bressingham once that I regret losing. It was very showy.

--
Sue