Old 21-05-2006, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

Default Some hay questions

George.com wrote:
Do I need to worry about the mould inside the hay? I have heard the odd
story of hay self combusting when it rots, any chance here you think.

Not unless you've a large-ish stack. If it's got grass growing from
it, I think it may be past the point! To find out how hot the inside
gets, push in a long metal rod, for instance an electric fence
support, or a bit of concrete re-inforcing bar, and withdraw it from
time to time, and feel how warm it is!
Old 21-05-2006, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

George.com wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

[...]
I'd have thought any hay would look pretty horrible as a general mulch,
even if it didn't get blown about: and I don't even think it would work
very well for water-retention. I really wouldn't mulch with the stuff
you describe until it's broken down a lot and the weed seeds have
germinated or been destroyed.

right, can you describe the last paragraph a little more please Mike. When
you say broken down, are you meaning some process of composting? Is this
like,

in to the compost heap along with nitrogen and break it down to a fine
crumb,
in to a drum like I do with poop and age it seperately,
some form of weathering
some other process I am not aware of?

No, I just meant composted, or at least partially composted, in a heap.
If you've got some dung, that's great: I'd mix it in.

--
Mike.

Old 22-05-2006, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

George.com wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

[...]
[...]

right, thanks for that. What you are really saying is get a hot core compost
going that will kill of weed seeds, turn the outside in a couple of times
and, if I then choose, cool it off and store before it breaks down too much.

rob

Mulch hay Kathy Edible Gardening 6 02-03-2005 03:14 AM
hay mulch Simon Stenkle Edible Gardening 6 25-05-2003 12:32 PM
using old hay for mulch ? Stephen Birchall United Kingdom 9 29-01-2003 06:09 PM