Old 20-05-2006, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Merlin

Default Sorbus- Mountain Ash 'stump'

Today I cut down our Mountain Ash which was 18 years old and
planted before we moved into the house next to the drive.

We had the cars covered in berries in summer, leaves in autumn
sap in spring and bird crap all year.

The stump is approx 6 inches high above ground, and I doubt if I could
dig it out without damaging the drive , so how can I help it on it's way ?

TIA

Old 20-05-2006, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Merlin wrote:
Today I cut down our Mountain Ash which was 18 years old and
planted before we moved into the house next to the drive.

We had the cars covered in berries in summer, leaves in autumn
sap in spring and bird crap all year.

The stump is approx 6 inches high above ground, and I doubt if I could
dig it out without damaging the drive , so how can I help it on it's way ?

Drill big vertical holes in it, fill them with sodium chlorate, cover,
and wait for it to get really dry, then set fire to it (maybe around
the end of July).

--
Mike.

Old 21-05-2006, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bof

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from "Merlin" contains these words:

Today I cut down our Mountain Ash which was 18 years old and
planted before we moved into the house next to the drive.

Rowans are traditionally planted at the gate to protect the
property against witches and lost spirits. Many country people consider
it very bad luck to cut one down.

Damn, we've one next to the gate, I was going to cut down for the same
reasons as the OP, in a couple of year's time once the replacement tree
had established, now I'm all undecided.

--
Due to the very painful lack of quoting Google promotes, all Usenet
posts originating from Google users are now deleted unseen, this means
Old 21-05-2006, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Google Groups users: helpful hint [Was: Sorbus- Mountain Ash 'stump']

bof wrote:
[...]
Due to the very painful lack of quoting Google promotes, all Usenet
posts originating from Google users are now deleted unseen, this means
if you post from Google I won't see it. N.B. the preceding sig is
copyright free, feel free to copy it. == bof at bof dot me dot uk ==

But, GG users, don't despair! Bof will still read you if you note the
following from another group's FAQ:

A recent change at Google Groups is causing its users to create
messages
that don't quote any previous material at all, which is baffling to our
readers. If you're going to use the Google interface to reply to Usenet
posts, please perform this extra step:

(1) click "show options" next to the poster's name, and
(2) click "Reply" in the line:
Reply | Reply to Author| Forward | Print | Individual Message

This will put quotations and attributions in your message, just as
other
newsreader programs do.

I'd add that it's best if you put your new message _after_ the old
ones. You can cut the old messages down by deleting bits and putting
[...] instead.

Hope you enjoy uk.rec.gardening as much as I do.

--
Mike.

Old 24-05-2006, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Merlin

" Rowans are traditionally planted at the gate to protect the
property against witches and lost spirits. Many country people consider
it very bad luck to cut one down.

The tree is cut down to ground level, holes drilled and filled with
sodium chlorate, covered with polythene and the following night a woman came
to my door from the liberal democrats.

Guess I will have to plant another.

Old 25-05-2006, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Merlin

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Merlin" contains these words:

" Rowans are traditionally planted at the gate to protect the
property against witches and lost spirits. Many country people consider
it very bad luck to cut one down.

The tree is cut down to ground level, holes drilled and filled with
sodium chlorate, covered with polythene and the following night a woman
came
to my door from the liberal democrats.

Oh dear! I expect she was trying to obtain a hair from your head,

She is 10 years too late to do that !

Mountain Ash Peter James[_2_] United Kingdom 5 11-07-2007 10:41 AM
[IBC] Defoliating rowan/mountain ash Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 0 25-05-2005 10:46 PM
Mountain Ash Question Monroe Gardening 4 13-07-2004 04:02 PM
Transplanting Mountain Ash pgiblin United Kingdom 4 26-03-2004 06:58 PM
Good tree for smallish garden - scots pine/mountain ash/aspen Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 1 01-11-2002 04:18 PM