GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   drainage holes in growbag for cucumbers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/144425-drainage-holes-growbag-cucumbers.html)

jw 1111 20-05-2006 09:31 PM

drainage holes in growbag for cucumbers

have just bought my first grow bag and put in some cucumber plants. the
instructions on the bag told about cutting holes in the top, but said
nothing about drainage underneath. should i cut holes for drainage?

Henry 20-05-2006 11:02 PM

"jw 1111" wrote in message
have just bought my first grow bag and put in some cucumber plants. the
instructions on the bag told about cutting holes in the top, but said
nothing about drainage underneath. should i cut holes for drainage?

Last year I forgot to put holes in the bottom of one growbag with cucumbers
in. In July both cucumbers in that bag wilted heavily despite being well
watered - I discovered too late that the compost was waterlogged. Both
cucumbers never really recovered, and one died.

The cucumbers in the growbag with holes were fine.

Henry

Jim Scott 20-05-2006 11:17 PM

On Sat, 20 May 2006 20:31:50 GMT, jw 1111 wrote:

have just bought my first grow bag and put in some cucumber plants. the
instructions on the bag told about cutting holes in the top, but said
nothing about drainage underneath. should i cut holes for drainage?

Put knife cuts about 1.5 inches up (from the ground) along the sides. It
gives a bit of a reservoir.
--
Jim
Tyneside UK