GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   white residue in soil...? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/14490-white-residue-soil.html)

Etienne 10-04-2003 09:08 PM

white residue in soil...?

I'm a total amateur here. I was just tilling a small garden and half of it
was saturated with a white residue. Is this a bad thing? I'm on an island
on the west coast of Canada if proximity to ocean air has anything to do
with it.

TIA,
Etienne

Roberto 10-04-2003 09:20 PM

white residue in soil...?

not sure but here a 'whiteness' in the soil is usually a friendly fungus or
bacteria breaking down organic matter

Robert from the English Riviera
http://www.nochex.com/payme.asap?ema...btinternet.com

Etienne etienneatoutgundotcom wrote:
: I'm a total amateur here. I was just tilling a small garden and half
: of it was saturated with a white residue. Is this a bad thing? I'm
: on an island on the west coast of Canada if proximity to ocean air
: has anything to do with it.
:
: TIA,
: Etienne

geoff 11-04-2003 02:32 PM

white residue in soil...?

"Etienne" etienneatoutgundotcom wrote in message
I'm a total amateur here. I was just tilling a small garden and half of

it
was saturated with a white residue. Is this a bad thing? I'm on an

island
on the west coast of Canada if proximity to ocean air has anything to do
with it.

TIA,
Etienne

Sounds like mycellium to me. Have you seen any fungus fruits?

Geoff

geoff 11-04-2003 02:32 PM

white residue in soil...?

"geoff" wrote in message news:b76faa$7q2

Sounds like mycellium to me. Have you seen any fungus fruits?

Geoff

P.S. Take a sniff of the white stuff you're didding up. If it smells sort
of mushroomy . . . . .

Geoff

Steve Harris 12-04-2003 01:44 AM

white residue in soil...?

It's possible that it's some phenomenon that we, in the UK are
unfamiliar with. I suggest asking in a group nearer home.