GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Climbing/rambling Rose - Which one ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/14495-climbing-rambling-rose-one.html)

Pip 10-04-2003 09:46 PM

Climbing/rambling Rose - Which one ?

Hi all

I have a south facing wall (front of house) that I would like to grow a rose
up. Could anybody recommend rose type ? Thanks :) I would like a red
rose that flowers as much as possible for as long as possible ! (and one
that is not prone to disease) I saw one in a gardening book called "Dublin
Bay" that looked lovely

I also wondered if anyone could recommend any good web sites for rose
nurseries that I could paroose through.

I've never owned a rose plant, the two houses I've had didn't have any roses
in at all. I can vaguely remember my parents putting manure around roses ?
So any advice of how to prune and feed them would be appreciated.

Thanks
Pippa

Zizz 10-04-2003 09:56 PM

?

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/
http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/

Hussein M. 11-04-2003 03:09 AM

Climbing/rambling Rose - Which one ?

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 20:44:25 GMT, "Zizz"
wrote:

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/
http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/

Short and to the point! I think Pippa's going to have much
agonising with her choice though.

Short and petite or hugely rambling, short flowering season but
exquisite blooms, long flowering season and o.k. blooms, a plethora of
perfumes to match the plethora of colours. Indeed, there must be a
rose to satisfy even those with a prejudice against roses.

Pippa, you are right though. Some have a certain notoriety for being
disease prone and/or other bad habits. So when you think you have
decided, let the newsgroup know - there may be some evil gossip about
it, whether through actual experience or from hearsay.

Hussein
Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.

Chris Stewart 11-04-2003 07:20 PM

wrote:

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/
http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/

Short and to the point! I think Pippa's going to have much
agonising with her choice though.

Short and petite or hugely rambling, short flowering season but
exquisite blooms, long flowering season and o.k. blooms, a plethora of
perfumes to match the plethora of colours. Indeed, there must be a
rose to satisfy even those with a prejudice against roses.

Pippa, you are right though. Some have a certain notoriety for being
disease prone and/or other bad habits. So when you think you have
decided, let the newsgroup know - there may be some evil gossip about
it, whether through actual experience or from hearsay.

Hussein
Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.

Hi,

My local nursery is

http://www.roses.uk.com/

otherwise known as Cocker's Roses - renowned throughout the NE of Scotland.
They do an excellent mail order service, and their roses are hardy - they
have to be to survive here!

Chris S

alice 12-04-2003 05:56 AM

wrote:

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/
http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/

Short and to the point! I think Pippa's going to have much
agonising with her choice though.

Hussein

Grow a little garden

Pippa's not the only one who's going to be agonising over her choice
after looking at those websites. All my old favourites & more besides.
I'm starting from scratch again with this garden, all it has is one
large cherry tree & lots of wall space. I've just "spent" an absolute
fortune at both places but have to whittle them down to something
sensible before I dare to click on the "order" buttons.
Have you been able to stop at just one, Pippa?
Alicia

Pip 12-04-2003 10:08 PM

Climbing/rambling Rose - Which one ?

"alice" wrote in message
m...

. ..
wrote:

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/
http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/

Short and to the point! I think Pippa's going to have much
agonising with her choice though.

Hussein

Grow a little garden

Pippa's not the only one who's going to be agonising over her choice
after looking at those websites. All my old favourites & more besides.
I'm starting from scratch again with this garden, all it has is one
large cherry tree & lots of wall space. I've just "spent" an absolute
fortune at both places but have to whittle them down to something
sensible before I dare to click on the "order" buttons.
Have you been able to stop at just one, Pippa?
Alicia

Gulp.... I know what I'm like when I get onto the Amazon website! I've just
had a look at the websites suggested and they look brilliant - decisions,
decisions ... (where's my husbands credit card...?)

Thanks everyone - I'll post back when i've made a decision and (fingers
crossed) it'll enjoy a happy healthy life in my front garden.

Cheers
Pippa