Old 22-05-2006, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Saxman

Default Destruction Of A Hardy Perennial

I wish to destroy a hardy perennial that is growing under a summerhouse.
Even though I laid weed supressant sheeting under the summerhouse, I still
have a problem.

Any ideas as to what a good commercial weedkiller that I can use, or of any
other method?

Old 22-05-2006, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Saxman

"La Puce" wrote in
oups.com:

Dig it out.

That's impossible.
Old 22-05-2006, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Saxman wrote:
Dig it out.

That's impossible.

Ok. I was in a very silly mood today. What perennial is it?! Lets see
what it is and then perhaps we might find the right solution.

Old 22-05-2006, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

La Puce wrote:
Saxman wrote:
Dig it out.

That's impossible.

Ok. I was in a very silly mood today. What perennial is it?! Lets see
what it is and then perhaps we might find the right solution.

Roundup's your only man.

Cat(h) (says the woman who got addicted to it while fighting ground
elder)

Old 22-05-2006, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

Cat(h) wrote:
Roundup's your only man.

Cat(h) (says the woman who got addicted to it while fighting ground
elder)

That's one thing I want the stuff for. Will you relate your
experience in using it for ground elder?
Old 22-05-2006, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Chris Bacon wrote:
Cat(h) wrote:
Roundup's your only man.

Cat(h) (says the woman who got addicted to it while fighting ground
elder)

That's one thing I want the stuff for. Will you relate your
experience in using it for ground elder?

Spray on a dry and calm day, v. carefully if there are plants you want
to keep anywhere in teh vicinity. Make sure the weeds are in the
middle of their growing season and have plenty of green leaves and
growing shoots - don't be tempted to cut them back first - forgive me
if I sound patronising: that's what I did the first time round, and
that's why it took 3 rather than 2 years to get rid of it entirely :-)
The spray becomes inert when it hits the soil, and it is safe to use
even if there are kids and pets around. It basically kills the weeds
right down to the roots by being absorbed through the leaves. Within a
few days, the weeds will start to wilt, then go brown. The plants are
not poisonous, because the roundup goes inert as soon as it has done
its job, and they can be ploughed into the ground - some of the more
scientific minds on here will explain that better than I can, or you
could google roundup (or glyphosate, the active principle) for more
info. You may need one or two more application in the current season
on the same weeds, and next year if new seedlings show. I have found
it *very* effective against ground elder and thistle (actually, I am
not sure what I am referring to is *real* thistle, but it's an awfully
invasive annual grey-blue-green prickly weed with fluffy seeds which
our plot was *covered* in when we moved in 3 years ago). I regret to
report is doesn't do anywhere near enough damage to Leyland Cypresses.
But that's another debate.
Brands other than Monsanto's Roundup are available on the market -
google glyphosate -they may be cheaper and no less effective.

I assume the above were the sort of things you wanted to know?

Cat(h)

Old 22-05-2006, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Saxman

"Cat(h)" wrote in news:1148316994.173934.287620
@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:

[...]

Thanks for your experience. That is exactly what I wanted to know.