Old 23-05-2006, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ade

Default Gelatinous Blobs

A very weird appearance on the soil in some pots. Very large blobs of clear
jelly just sitting on the surface of the soil. Definitely not water
retaining gel. It almost looks like it's rained jelly!

Anyone know what these blobs might be?

Old 23-05-2006, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Ade wrote:
A very weird appearance on the soil in some pots. Very large blobs of clear
jelly just sitting on the surface of the soil. Definitely not water
retaining gel. It almost looks like it's rained jelly!
Anyone know what these blobs might be?

Pixie spit. Sorry ... I will stop right now. Promise. No, I've no idea.
Too early for cuckoo's spit - still not jelly enough. How trully
strange. Which colour?

Old 23-05-2006, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ade

Ade wrote:
A very weird appearance on the soil in some pots. Very large blobs of

clear
jelly just sitting on the surface of the soil. Definitely not water
retaining gel. It almost looks like it's rained jelly!
Anyone know what these blobs might be?

Pixie spit. Sorry ... I will stop right now. Promise. No, I've no idea.
Too early for cuckoo's spit - still not jelly enough. How trully
strange. Which colour?

Totally clear in colour. It's not a solid, so I don't think it's a fungus.
If you try to pick it up it just runs, exactly like a half-set jelly. I'm
going to take a closer look to see if it has any eggs in it. Do birds throw
up jelly? I'll laugh if it turns out my daughter has thrown out her pots of
jelly snacks that I bought her this week !!

Old 23-05-2006, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Ade wrote:
Totally clear in colour. It's not a solid, so I don't think it's a fungus.
If you try to pick it up it just runs, exactly like a half-set jelly. I'm
going to take a closer look to see if it has any eggs in it.

Indeed. If you have a microscope, would be really interesting ) You
said in pots?! What would deliver that jelly in a pot?! You'd think
you'd find it in the grass, if it's from a frog. I can't think of an
insect doing 'jelly'. Do be carefull though ... it's a *blob* cue
scarry music

Do birds throw
up jelly?

A sneeze?! LOL!!!

But perhaps that's a question for Malcom ...

I'll laugh if it turns out my daughter has thrown out her pots of
jelly snacks that I bought her this week !!

How dissapointing ... ;o)

Old 23-05-2006, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Ade" wrote in message
Ade wrote:
[...]

The description would fit water snail egg jelly. The eggs are contained
inside a clear jelly. I have seen it occasionally on the surface of very
wet pots near the pond but never in very big blobs.
What does it taste like? :-)

Old 23-05-2006, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
The description would fit water snail egg jelly. The eggs are contained
inside a clear jelly. I have seen it occasionally on the surface of very
wet pots near the pond but never in very big blobs.
What does it taste like? :-)

Are you serious? What should it taste like?

Old 23-05-2006, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

"Ade" wrote in message
Ade wrote:
[...]

Are they 'very large'? - I suppose that depends what the OP means by
'very large'

Our pond snails (3 species) don't produce anything more than an inch
long and quarter inch wide.

Can you get a transparent slime mould?

http://tinyurl.co.uk/ns2h

I can remember being out on the Yorkshire Dales when I suddenly became
unable to keep my footing - feet kept slipping our from under me. The
culprit was masses of clear (IIRC) jelly in amongst the grass, which i
assumed was slime mould. This was a few feet from the cliff edge of an
old quarry, so it wasn't funny!

Only other clear gelatinous thing I've found was some frogspawn on the
lawn of some old people's bungalows a couple of days after heavy rain.

--
Kay
Old 23-05-2006, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

Sounds like slime mould to me.

We get it on our rockery stones sometimes.

Have you tasted it yet?

A bit like seaweed? Then its slime mould.

(just kidding)

Sue W.

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

Old 24-05-2006, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
serialthrilla

The Invalid wrote in
:

On Tue, 23 May 2006 11:47:48 GMT, "Ade" wrote:

A very weird appearance on the soil in some pots. Very large blobs of
clear jelly just sitting on the surface of the soil. Definitely not
water retaining gel. It almost looks like it's rained jelly!

Anyone know what these blobs might be?

Strange, yesterday I found my chickens pecking at some stuff.
I investigated and found....... several blobs of completely clear
jelly, each one about an inch and a half.

War of the worlds ??
Day of the triffids?

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers ?

Old 24-05-2006, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Scott

On Wed, 24 May 2006 09:49:37 +0100, The Invalid wrote:

On Tue, 23 May 2006 16:14:27 GMT, "Sue" wrote:

Sounds like slime mould to me.

We get it on our rockery stones sometimes.

Have you tasted it yet?

A bit like seaweed? Then its slime mould.

(just kidding)

Sue W.

The stuff I found was completely clear jelly, each blob being about an
inch and a half or so

I'll see if theres any today and try and get a pic of it.

Haven't followed the thread, but are we talking 'water retaining
granules/crystals/gel' which are added to hanging basket mixes?

--
Jim
Tyneside UK
Old 24-05-2006, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Jim Scott wrote:
Haven't followed the thread, but are we talking 'water retaining
granules/crystals/gel' which are added to hanging basket mixes?

Pay attention at the back!!! We're talking alien invasion - we're now
planning a strategic defense manoeuvre which will save the world as we
know it. Are you in?

Old 24-05-2006, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Scott

On 24 May 2006 02:18:48 -0700, La Puce wrote:

Jim Scott wrote:
Haven't followed the thread, but are we talking 'water retaining
granules/crystals/gel' which are added to hanging basket mixes?

Pay attention at the back!!! We're talking alien invasion - we're now
planning a strategic defense manoeuvre which will save the world as we
know it. Are you in?

Not sure I want to save the world 'as we know it'.
--
Jim
Tyneside UK
Old 24-05-2006, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Jim Scott wrote:
Not sure I want to save the world 'as we know it'.

deep sigh There's always one isn't it. put back foil hat on

Old 24-05-2006, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.natural-history
Chris Bacon

Ade wrote:
Ade wrote:
A very weird appearance on the soil in some pots. Very large blobs of
clear jelly just sitting on the surface of the soil. Definitely not
water retaining gel. It almost looks like it's rained jelly!
Anyone know what these blobs might be?

Totally clear in colour. It's not a solid, so I don't think it's a fungus.
If you try to pick it up it just runs, exactly like a half-set jelly. I'm
going to take a closer look to see if it has any eggs in it. Do birds throw
up jelly? I'll laugh if it turns out my daughter has thrown out her pots of
jelly snacks that I bought her this week !!

Perhaps u.r.n-h might help!

Clear gelatinous goo new Lawns 0 09-09-2004 11:52 PM
red blobs on tree leaves... flower faerie United Kingdom 5 10-06-2004 11:14 PM
red blobs on tree leaves... flower faerie United Kingdom 1 09-06-2004 05:56 PM
Gelatinous goo JKS United Kingdom 5 14-11-2003 12:22 PM
Anyone heard of Water Blobs??? Newbie Gardener United Kingdom 2 21-05-2003 06:44 PM