GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   snowberry-help! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/14543-snowberry-help.html)

Jack Gillespie 11-04-2003 10:20 AM

snowberry-help!

My garden is overcome with snowberry-can anyone advise on how to get rid of
it?
tia
jack

Victoria Clare 11-04-2003 11:32 AM

snowberry-help!

"Jack Gillespie" wrote in
:

My garden is overcome with snowberry-can anyone advise on how to get
rid of it?

Cut it down to ground level, then keep mowing it. You will win in the end,
but not quickly!

Victoria

Rodger Whitlock 11-04-2003 08:08 PM

snowberry-help!

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 10:03:32 +0100, Jack Gillespie wrote:

My garden is overcome with snowberry-can anyone advise on how to get rid of
it?

Roundup works very well on it. Also, the suckers are generally
rather shallow. If the soil is loose or wet, you can pull a lot
of it up by hand. Snowberry in native here and I have several
patches in my garden; when they start getting out of hand, hand
pulling usually does the job well enough.

Two warnings: Snowberry thickets provide shelter for birds in
inclement weather; do you *really* want to get rid of yours? And
what are you going to replace it with? If you don't plant
something, Mother Nature will step in and plant (other) weeds.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada