Old 26-05-2006, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BIGEYE

Default Laying Turf

I have a low section in my back garden and want to lay some turf to level it
up a bit.
Can I lat the turf on top of the existing grass and tamp it down, or do I
need to dig out the existing grass?
TIA

Old 26-05-2006, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Me here

"BIGEYE" wrote in message
I have a low section in my back garden and want to lay some turf to level
it up a bit.
Can I lat the turf on top of the existing grass and tamp it down, or do I
need to dig out the existing grass?

If the existing turf is weed free enough to tolerate then a layer of good
quality sharp sand/soil mix (50-50) to level the area after a damn good
spiking with a garden fork will be fine to turf over.

If there are nasties in the existing, get a turf cutter from the local hire
shop, lift off about 1" depth of turf and use elsewhere or chuck it. Spike
well, sand as above and lay new. Using a scaffold board and a spirit level
or the like to level your prepared sand/soil mix before laying gently
tamping the top surface will allow a nice flat area when the turf is
established and makes the grass more appealing to the eye when level and
easier to mow.

DON'T cut it until well established and if allowed (Hosepipe bans excepted)
water well and fee sparingly after around 3 weeks with a quality lawn feed.
After around 6 weeks carefully cut (After making sure your mower is razor
sharp) to a height of 1½".

Don't be tempted to cut shorter as it'll scorch and die back.

Laying Turf - Need to rotavate or just feed topsoil before laying pzboyz United Kingdom 1 03-06-2005 09:39 AM
Laying new top soil and turf Zeroaxe United Kingdom 0 17-07-2003 01:53 PM
Turf laying prep Pigling United Kingdom 7 13-06-2003 10:44 AM
Turf laying costs? dmc United Kingdom 1 09-04-2003 03:20 PM
Laying Turf Stephen Macintyre United Kingdom 2 17-11-2002 12:47 PM