GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Marcory - may be spelt wrong! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/14551-marcory-may-spelt-wrong.html)

Chris 11-04-2003 01:56 PM

Marcory - may be spelt wrong!

An old person told me about a vegetable she used to eat in her youth.
It was called "marcory" but she didn't know how to spell it.
Does anyone know what it is?
She said it was leaves like nettles.
--
Chris

Nick Maclaren 11-04-2003 02:08 PM

Marcory - may be spelt wrong!

In article ],
Chris ] writes:
| An old person told me about a vegetable she used to eat in her youth.
| It was called "marcory" but she didn't know how to spell it.
| Does anyone know what it is?
| She said it was leaves like nettles.

Mercury. Good King Henry. All-good. Chenopodium bonum-henricum.
A perennial relative of goosefoot (orache) and seeds itself almost
as freely. You can also blanch the stems, when they are known as
Lincolnshire asparagus - I do. Goosefoot can also be eaten.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Chris 11-04-2003 06:45 PM

Marcory - may be spelt wrong!

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ],
Chris ] writes:
| An old person told me about a vegetable she used to eat in her youth.
| It was called "marcory" but she didn't know how to spell it.
| Does anyone know what it is?
| She said it was leaves like nettles.

Mercury. Good King Henry. All-good. Chenopodium bonum-henricum.
A perennial relative of goosefoot (orache) and seeds itself almost
as freely. You can also blanch the stems, when they are known as
Lincolnshire asparagus - I do. Goosefoot can also be eaten.

Thanks. I'd like to try it. Are seeds readily available?
--
Chris

Nick Maclaren 11-04-2003 07:32 PM

Marcory - may be spelt wrong!

In article ], Chris ] wrote:
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ],
Chris ] writes:
| An old person told me about a vegetable she used to eat in her youth.
| It was called "marcory" but she didn't know how to spell it.
| Does anyone know what it is?
| She said it was leaves like nettles.

Mercury. Good King Henry. All-good. Chenopodium bonum-henricum.
A perennial relative of goosefoot (orache) and seeds itself almost
as freely. You can also blanch the stems, when they are known as
Lincolnshire asparagus - I do. Goosefoot can also be eaten.

Thanks. I'd like to try it. Are seeds readily available?

Where do you live? I dead head it religiously, but a few seeds usually
escape to become weeds. It will transplant well only when VERY young.
I am pretty sure that you can get seeds from Chiltern, though I could
try gathering some.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

[email protected] 12-04-2003 09:56 PM

Marcory - may be spelt wrong!

On 11 Apr 2003 18:32:15 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ], Chris ] wrote:

[Good King Henry]

Thanks. I'd like to try it. Are seeds readily available?

Where do you live? I dead head it religiously, but a few seeds usually
escape to become weeds. It will transplant well only when VERY young.
I am pretty sure that you can get seeds from Chiltern, though I could
try gathering some.

We bought some seed from Jekka's Herbs (at a garden show, probably
Tatton last year). They are just starting to germinate now, about 3
weeks after sowing.

We also bought some Tree Spinach (chenopodium giganteum,
magentaspreen) seed from the same source and this has germinated about
a week ahead of the Good King Henry.
--
Stuart Baldwin
news\at/boxatrix\dot/co\dot/uk

Michael Berridge 15-04-2003 12:44 AM

Marcory - may be spelt wrong!

Chris wrote in message ...
An old person told me about a vegetable she used to eat in her youth.
It was called "marcory" but she didn't know how to spell it.
Does anyone know what it is?
She said it was leaves like nettles.
--

Often spelt a Markery, I have some growing in my garden at the moment,
got it from my dads garden after he died and we sold the place.

Arrow shaped leaves, best picked and eaten young, treat as spinach.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Sue 15-04-2003 04:21 PM

Marcory - may be spelt wrong!

Is this the same as Good King Henry....sounds like it anyway.
Cut off its flowers to encourage leaves.

Sue

--
Sue Wood, Derby, England.
Please note: Return email address is modified