Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-05-2006, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Hardiness of 'tender' plants

My Feijoa sellowiana, Punica granata (not surprisingly), Callistemon
rigidus all shrugged off nights of -8 Celcius and having their pots
frozen. Agapanthus africanus suffered, but lived.

Hedychium gardnerii, Acacia retinoides and Caesalpina gillespii all
survived being left (very) dry and dropping below zero. I am surprised
about the first.

Brugmansia aborea lived, but hasn't show signs of life yet, and Erythrina
crista-galli seems to regard our apology for a spring/summer as not worth
sprouting for. How ON EARTH does it grow in Edinburgh?

And I have lost half my rosemarys, most of my marjoram, but not my
origano, and some of my thyme and winter savory.

Plus, I moved most of my horseradish and have lost the lot! Perhaps
it is sensitive to walnut exudations.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.