Old 11-04-2003, 03:44 PM
geoff

Default Asparagus cropping

Group,

This year I should be able to cut the first crop of asparagus from a raised
bed I planted in 2000 - some of the spears are now three or four inches tall

However, I'm not sure of the best time/way to cut the spears: viz. How tall
should they be? How deep below the surface should the cut be made? Is it
best to leave the first spear/spears to grow on and cut later ones? How
many spears might be taken from each plant? When should cropping cease?

The answers to these questions and any other tips you can give will be
greatly appreciated.

Regards

Geoff on the Isle of Wight

Old 11-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Kay Easton

In article , geoff
writes
Group,

This year I should be able to cut the first crop of asparagus from a raised
bed I planted in 2000 - some of the spears are now three or four inches tall

However, I'm not sure of the best time/way to cut the spears: viz. How tall
should they be?

Think of a bought asparagus spear ... the green bit is above ground, the
white bit below ground. Cut when you have as much above ground as you'd
expect on a spear that you bought.

If you don't have a proper asparagus cutting tool, take a sharp knife
and slide it down beside your chosen spear, taking care not to behead
any spears that may still be underground. Cut the spear about 2 inches
under the soil surface.

How deep below the surface should the cut be made? Is it
best to leave the first spear/spears to grow on and cut later ones?

Other way round. Cut the first ones and leave the later ones.

How
many spears might be taken from each plant?

All that the plant throws up befor the date to stop cropping.

When should cropping cease?

Midsummer Day, June 24th, Pershore Fair Day, take your pick ;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: