Old 29-05-2006, 11:12 AM
Registered User

Default plum tree split down middle

Hello All,

I was wondering if any of you had some advice for me. I have a plum tree which has split down the middle in a storm last week. Perhaps 60 % of the tree is still upright. The split runs literally straight down the middle of the trunk to the ground level. I think the problem has come about because the previous owner of the house (or even the one before that) left some twine around the tree and the trunk grew around it. One side is lying on the ground but is still alive because the bark is attached. The half which is upright is very stable.

I would like to be able to keep the upright part and am considering cutting the braken part at ground level and painting the tree for protection. Do you think this might work? Is the tree doomed? Can I use bog standard paint? Any other advice?

Thanks for the help

Darren
Old 30-05-2006, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tahiri

"djhughes" wrote in message

[...]

Darren, from my experience plum trees and storms are a bad mixture. Although
I admit mine was fruiting when it got badly torn about. I reckon as long as
your stable upright 'half' is actually rather more than half it should
survive. If you feel the need to paint it use special tree wound paint, (
arbrex or similar name?) but I gather some people don't recommend it these
days. You may want to cut some more off the tree if the remains are
unbalanced - picture it to yourself with a big crop of large plums on and
decide if it would try and fall over like that! In fact don't let it have
too much fruit this year while it is recovering. If it doesn't get too many
more storms this year it may well put on a lot of growth next year - mine
did.
Good luck.
T.

Old 31-05-2006, 02:59 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiri
"djhughes" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the advice. There is just over half left so hopefully it will be OK.
Darren
Old 31-05-2006, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Thomas Fairweather

It has been suggested in recent years not to use abrex it is best to let the
tree form its own 'scab' or callus.
If it is a large wound then infection will probably follow so it would be
best to replace the tree.
The other considerations are structural. ie will it fall down, could it be
dangerouse if it did and is there a strip of bark still attached running
from the bottom to the top. Just under the bark is the place where the food
and water is transported aroung the tree (cambium).If there is a strip
missing all round the tree then it is said to be ringed and will die
If only part then maybe ok. This can be repaired by grafting but bit tricky
to do.
If the tree has lost some of it's top work then it will probably be able to
cope but if it hasn't then you should comsider some pruning to keep the
roots and branches in balance. i.e. leaves not demanding too much from the
roots and vice versa.

--
djhughes