GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Black rot on Pear (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/145628-black-rot-pear.html)

stan 29-05-2006 06:48 PM

Black rot on Pear

1 Attachment(s)
After fruit set many of the fruits turn black and shrivvel. Some fruit is unaffected but only a small percentage
Does any one know what this is and if there is any prevention
I have uploaded a picture of this, but not sure where it can be found.
I can send it by Email if requested

Andy 30-05-2006 10:21 AM

Black rot on Pear

"stan" wrote in message

After fruit set many of the fruits turn black and shrivvel. Some fruit
is unaffected but only a small percentage
Does any one know what this is and if there is any prevention
I have uploaded a picture of this, but not sure where it can be found.
I can send it by Email if requested

Do the fruits take on a 'waisted' or 'guitar' shape? Are there gaping cracks
or small holes in the fruits? If so you may have Pear Midge. Typically the
fruit will have a funny shape as mentioned and a blckened crack will open
up around part of its girth as the grubs break out and drop to the ground.

You could break open a few and look for grubs, though if they have holes or
cracks in the grubs have typically gone.

Andy.

Andy 30-05-2006 01:31 PM

Black rot on Pear

"Andy" wrote in message

"stan" wrote in message

After fruit set many of the fruits turn black and shrivvel. Some fruit
is unaffected but only a small percentage
Does any one know what this is and if there is any prevention
I have uploaded a picture of this, but not sure where it can be found.
I can send it by Email if requested

Do the fruits take on a 'waisted' or 'guitar' shape? Are there gaping
cracks or small holes in the fruits? If so you may have Pear Midge.
Typically the fruit will have a funny shape as mentioned and a blckened
crack will open up around part of its girth as the grubs break out and
drop to the ground.

You could break open a few and look for grubs, though if they have holes
or cracks in the grubs have typically gone.

Andy.

The other thing it might be is Pear Scab, where the surface takes on a
rough, thickened appearance and cracks may occur. I'm not sure if that is
what you have either, but it is caused by warm, humid weather apparently,
and can't be cured this year, only by spraying next year.

I've just inspected my pear trees and one has most of the fruits covered in
a kind of browny-black leathery spotting, though they're not shrivelled and
they're hanging on stil, so I've got problems myself!

stan 02-06-2006 07:08 PM

Your description is spot on for what I have. Can you suggest a spray schedule to control Pear Midge. I gave the trees a tar oil winter wash in Feb and have sprayed a couple of times with a general insecticide in the spring.

Regards, Martin