Old 31-05-2006, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm

Default Plant IDs please - worrisit ?

Dear all,

A few more plant IDs if you'd be so kind....

Some of these I want to get rid of, others I just want to know what they
are. Sorry - I don't know much about plants....

Photos are he

The first one is two plants growing in a bed. One with coarse leaves, the
other with fine leaves and little white flowers. OK - there's more than 2
different plants growing there, but 2 main ones....
http://adm.smugmug.com/gallery/1401195/1/72550441

Next up is a big tall gangly thing that looks as if it's about to flower.
Currently the flower tips are about 5 feet high.
http://adm.smugmug.com/gallery/1401195/1/72550446

For your pleasure, a thistly/ferny looking plant growing well in the rockery
(growing so well, you can't see any rocks....)
http://adm.smugmug.com/gallery/1401195/1/72550453

Next suspect is a horrible looking thing. Kind of hempy looking long
fingered leaves and an almost segmented looking main stem. Sickly light
green flower heads, but never seems to actually flower. This is quite
invasive, but is pulled up easily.
http://adm.smugmug.com/gallery/1401195/1/72550462

This one is an almost cactussy looking thing. Thick leaves, almost dusty
green in colour.
http://adm.smugmug.com/gallery/1401195/1/72550471

Finally, a lovely big purple flowering tree/bush/thing. This looks
spectacular in is about 10 feet tall.
http://adm.smugmug.com/gallery/1401195/1/72550373

Well - any help gratefully received. I have an RHS plant encyclopedia, but
can seem to identify anything from it - all the pictures show flowers, and
none of these plants have any (apart from the purple tree/bush)..... Is
there an online resource anyone knows of to identify plants just from their
leaves and shape ?

Old 31-05-2006, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

adm wrote:
Dear all,

A few more plant IDs if you'd be so kind....

Some of these I want to get rid of, others I just want to know what they
are. Sorry - I don't know much about plants....

Photos are he

The first one is two plants growing in a bed. One with coarse leaves, the
other with fine leaves and little white flowers. OK - there's more than 2
different plants growing there, but 2 main ones....
http://adm.smugmug.com/gallery/1401195/1/72550441

Next up is a big tall gangly thing that looks as if it's about to flower.
Currently the flower tips are about 5 feet high.
http://adm.smugmug.com/gallery/1401195/1/72550446

For your pleasure, a thistly/ferny looking plant growing well in the rockery
(growing so well, you can't see any rocks....)
http://adm.smugmug.com/gallery/1401195/1/72550453

Acanthus spinosa? Has tall creamy pink flower heads. Is a nice plant
that grows into a big clump (as it has done on yer rockery).

Old 31-05-2006, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

adm wrote:
A few more plant IDs if you'd be so kind....

A pleasure, trully a pleasure, tho not sure I'll get everything ...

The first one is two plants growing in a bed. One with coarse leaves,
the
other with fine leaves and little white flowers. OK - there's more than 2
different plants growing there, but 2 main ones....
http://adm.smugmug.com/gallery/1401195/1/72550441

1. dono
2. aquilegia
3. aquilegia
4. aquilegia (are you blind?)
5. lilac and a really nice one
6. aquilegia
7. aquilegia (phew ...)
8. aquilegia (you're having fun ...)
9. dono
10. Weeds - remove!
11. Tansy?!
12. thistle Eryngo
13. dono
14. sedum

HTH

Old 31-05-2006, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"adm" wrote in message
[...]

441 Coarse veined leaf =Lamium (dead nettle)
White flower looks like a forget-me-not (a white one)
446 = Not telling you yet
453=Acanthus
462=Hellebore
471=Sedum Autumn spectabile/Joy
373 =Syringia =Lilac

Old 31-05-2006, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
441 Coarse veined leaf =Lamium (dead nettle)
White flower looks like a forget-me-not (a white one)
446 = Not telling you yet
453=Acanthus
462=Hellebore
471=Sedum Autumn spectabile/Joy
373 =Syringia =Lilac

Where did you get those numbers from!?!? 453 Acanthus off course!! Not
sure about the Hellebore though ... and I'm not sure about your number
so I don't know what you are referring to ))

Old 31-05-2006, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
441 Coarse veined leaf =Lamium (dead nettle)
White flower looks like a forget-me-not (a white one)
446 = Not telling you yet
453=Acanthus
462=Hellebore
471=Sedum Autumn spectabile/Joy
373 =Syringia =Lilac

Where did you get those numbers from!?!? 453 Acanthus off course!! Not
sure about the Hellebore though ... and I'm not sure about your number
so I don't know what you are referring to ))

The numbers are the last 3 digits of the URL--I think.
Flowers are Hellebore-perhaps leaves belong to something else but they too
look ok to me. It's probably H. foetidus or similar
http://adm.smugmug.com/gallery/1401195/1/72550462

Are you going to tell us what the big tall thingy is? :-)
http://adm.smugmug.com/gallery/1401195/1/72550446
Hint:-It is not an Aquilegia

Old 31-05-2006, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Corfield

On 31 May 2006 04:06:45 -0700, "La Puce" wrote:

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
441 Coarse veined leaf =Lamium (dead nettle)
White flower looks like a forget-me-not (a white one)
446 = Not telling you yet
453=Acanthus
462=Hellebore
471=Sedum Autumn spectabile/Joy
373 =Syringia =Lilac

Where did you get those numbers from!?!? 453 Acanthus off course!! Not
sure about the Hellebore though ... and I'm not sure about your number
so I don't know what you are referring to ))

the last three digits of the photo number links provided by the original
poster.
--
Paul C
Old 31-05-2006, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Paul Corfield wrote:
the last three digits of the photo number links provided by the original
poster.

Ta )

Old 31-05-2006, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Philippe Gautier

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:

441 Coarse veined leaf =Lamium (dead nettle)
White flower looks like a forget-me-not (a white one)
446 = Not telling you yet
453=Acanthus
462=Hellebore
471=Sedum Autumn spectabile/Joy
373 =Syringia =Lilac

Where did you get those numbers from!?!? 453 Acanthus off course!! Not
sure about the Hellebore though ... and I'm not sure about your number
so I don't know what you are referring to ))

The numbers are the last 3 digits of the URL--I think.
Flowers are Hellebore-perhaps leaves belong to something else but they too
look ok to me. It's probably H. foetidus or similar
http://adm.smugmug.com/gallery/1401195/1/72550462

Are you going to tell us what the big tall thingy is? :-)
http://adm.smugmug.com/gallery/1401195/1/72550446
Hint:-It is not an Aquilegia

Does it begin with a "V" ?

Old 31-05-2006, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm

Sorry - that was confusing... I left some earlier ID photos (did you guess
the aquilegia ?) with the new photos.

I've "weeded out" the offenders now, and posted the descriptions again
below. Thanks for all the answers - looks like most of them identified -
except for the tall one.....

[...]

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 31-05-2006, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
441 Coarse veined leaf =Lamium (dead nettle)
White flower looks like a forget-me-not (a white one)
446 = Not telling you yet
453=Acanthus
462=Hellebore
471=Sedum Autumn spectabile/Joy
373 =Syringia =Lilac

Where did you get those numbers from!?!? 453 Acanthus off course!! Not
sure about the Hellebore though ... and I'm not sure about your number
so I don't know what you are referring to ))

The numbers are the last 3 digits of the URL--I think.
Flowers are Hellebore-perhaps leaves belong to something else but they too
look ok to me. It's probably H. foetidus or similar
http://adm.smugmug.com/gallery/1401195/1/72550462

I actually did not see the flowers at first and did not recognise the leaves
but when you said Hellebore I plumped for that. Some of them have very
narrow leaves/leaflets. I looked at the photo again and sure enough there
are a load of pale Hellebore flowers so "well spotted that man" etc.

Old 31-05-2006, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
e...

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I can confirm after all the replies that it does indeed appear to be
Hellebore foetidus - aka Bear's Paw or Stinking Hellebore. I suppose the
reason I never thought it flowered was that the flowers were green......

Are you going to tell us what the big tall thingy is? :-)
http://adm.smugmug.com/gallery/1401195/1/72550446
Hint:-It is not an Aquilegia

Anyone ?

Old 31-05-2006, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Wed, 31 May 2006 12:19:17 +0100, Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) wrote
(in article ):

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
441 Coarse veined leaf =Lamium (dead nettle)
White flower looks like a forget-me-not (a white one)
446 = Not telling you yet
453=Acanthus
462=Hellebore
471=Sedum Autumn spectabile/Joy
373 =Syringia =Lilac

Where did you get those numbers from!?!? 453 Acanthus off course!! Not
sure about the Hellebore though ... and I'm not sure about your number
so I don't know what you are referring to ))

The numbers are the last 3 digits of the URL--I think.
Flowers are Hellebore-perhaps leaves belong to something else but they too
look ok to me. It's probably H. foetidus or similar
http://adm.smugmug.com/gallery/1401195/1/72550462

Yes, I'm sure that's right.

Are you going to tell us what the big tall thingy is? :-)
http://adm.smugmug.com/gallery/1401195/1/72550446
Hint:-It is not an Aquilegia

Thalictrum flavium glauca.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 31-05-2006, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

adm writes

Thanks. I can confirm after all the replies that it does indeed appear to be
Hellebore foetidus - aka Bear's Paw or Stinking Hellebore. I suppose the
reason I never thought it flowered was that the flowers were green......

The flowers are tiny and in the centre of the green bracts (the petally
things), which stay on when the flowers are over and the seeds form.

It's an uncommon british native as well as being grown as an ornamental.
--
Kay
Old 31-05-2006, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

441 Coarse veined leaf =Lamium (dead nettle)

Dead nettle family, but I think it's the red flowered hedge woundwort,
Stachys sylvatica, which smells something horrid when you pull it up.

White flower looks like a forget-me-not (a white one)

It's a bedstraw - if you look closely, it has 4 petals not five, and you
can see several of the characteristic whorled leaves - 1in to the L and
0,5 inches down, for example.

I don't know what the abundant shoots which fill up most of the photo
are.
--
Kay

Plant IDs - please janka Plant Science 6 27-01-2007 04:58 PM
Two plant IDs please Sacha United Kingdom 6 19-11-2006 11:50 PM
OT-Worrisit Rod Craddock United Kingdom 9 12-09-2005 11:46 PM
Grasshopper - Worrisit exactly? Jim W United Kingdom 17 28-07-2003 01:03 PM
Worrisit? Seed.. Any ideas? Jim W United Kingdom 0 23-04-2003 05:56 AM