Old 31-05-2006, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

Default Vegetable Spaghetti

Trying this, this year. What's the best way to cook and use it please?

www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 31-05-2006, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Robert" writes:
| Trying this, this year. What's the best way to cook and use it please?

After you have grown it?

Boil, bake or microwave it, once it is half-ripe.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-05-2006, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
:
: In article ,
: "Robert" writes:
: | Trying this, this year. What's the best way to cook and use it please?
:
: After you have grown it?
:
: Boil, bake or microwave it, once it is half-ripe.
:
:
: Regards,
: Nick Maclaren.

Ha! very good thanks ... and what would you eat it with .. whatever you
fancy I suppose?

Old 31-05-2006, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Gardner

"Robert" wrote in
:

: "Robert" writes:
: | Trying this, this year. What's the best way to cook and use it
: | please?
:
: After you have grown it?
:
: Boil, bake or microwave it, once it is half-ripe.
:
:
: Regards,
: Nick Maclaren.

Ha! very good thanks ... and what would you eat it with .. whatever
you fancy I suppose?

Melted cheese plus tomato is a good start. Or any
pizza/spaghetti topping.
Old 31-05-2006, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Tom Gardner wrote:
"Robert" wrote in
:

: "Robert" writes:
: | Trying this, this year. What's the best way to cook and use it
: | please?
:
: After you have grown it?
:
: Boil, bake or microwave it, once it is half-ripe.
:
:
: Regards,
: Nick Maclaren.

Ha! very good thanks ... and what would you eat it with .. whatever
you fancy I suppose?

Melted cheese plus tomato is a good start. Or any
pizza/spaghetti topping.

Waste of space if you ask me. But it's always good fun to try something
new, of course, and it may turn out to be just what you've always
wanted. They speak highly of _young_ loofahs in the Windies, but I
don't guess they'd do over here.

--
Mike.

Old 31-05-2006, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Allen Caius

The message
from "Robert" contains these words:

What's the best way to cook and use it please?

I like to cut them in half (around the middle, not lengthwise), take a
thin slice off the ends so that it will stand upright in the oven, scoop
out the seeds, make a mince/onion/mushroom/gravy mix and stuff the
hollow fruit, sprinkle with grated cheese, cover top with aluminium foil
and bake in a medium oven until soft (time depends upon size of fruit).
Serve in a large bowl with chips or whatever takes yer fancy. Oddly, I
had a photo of a baked vegspag on the computer until last week, when I
deleted it :-(

I live in the north of Scotland and have to grow them in a tunnel. This
means that they have to be hand pollinated or the fruits do not swell.
If you suffer from fruits dropping without swelling take the male
flowers (no small fruit behind flower), remove petals and stuff it into
the large bulbous female flower. This does the trick for me.

This year I bought a packet of Zapallo squash seed when in Argentina and
I'm growing these instead of vegspag.

--
Cheers,

Allen
Old 31-05-2006, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Allen Caius

The message
from "Robert" contains these words:

Trying this, this year. What's the best way to cook and use it please?

www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Took a look at the website - not non-broadband friendly; got fed up with
waiting for anything to happen and gave up. I hope that your subject
'Vegetable spaghetti' is the same vegspag that I described in my other
post. Roughly torpedo shaped fruit on a vigorous climbing/trailing
vine, green striped yellow.

--
Cheers,

Allen
Old 31-05-2006, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Allen Caius writes
The message
from "Robert" contains these words:

What's the best way to cook and use it please?

I like to cut them in half (around the middle, not lengthwise), take a
thin slice off the ends so that it will stand upright in the oven, scoop
out the seeds, make a mince/onion/mushroom/gravy mix and stuff the
hollow fruit, sprinkle with grated cheese, cover top with aluminium foil
and bake in a medium oven until soft (time depends upon size of fruit).
Serve in a large bowl with chips or whatever takes yer fancy. Oddly, I
had a photo of a baked vegspag on the computer until last week, when I
deleted it :-(

The Portuguese make a jam which is used in desserts, and can be used as
a time-saving compromise for recipes which call for 'egg threads'.
--
Kay
Old 02-06-2006, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

Thanks for the answers

www.rraa.moonfruit.com