Old 01-06-2006, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara

Default Hayter Double 3 mower - speed control unit question

Please, can anyone help with this?

How do you take apart the speed control unit mounted on the side of the
handle? Eric (my other half) has removed it from the handle and taken
out the two small screws, but it won't come apart: is there a plastic
tab or the like that has to be lifted, or some cunning way of twisting
or pulling it to get it apart far enough to put the end of the cable
wire in?

He's suffering from so-near-and-yet-so-far syndrome ;-((

many thanks,

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 03-06-2006, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Klara contains these words:

How do you take apart the speed control unit mounted on the side of the
handle? Eric (my other half) has removed it from the handle and taken
out the two small screws, but it won't come apart: is there a plastic
tab or the like that has to be lifted, or some cunning way of twisting
or pulling it to get it apart far enough to put the end of the cable
wire in?

I dunno. But it reminds me of a neighbour bringing round a large paper
sack full of small components, which until the previous day had been an
electric lawnmower. He had spent hours taking everything apart to
"service" the engine, and now he couldn't remember how to put it back
together. His wife had told him to take to John "because John will know
what to do".

Well, she was sort of right. John advised him to buy a new one.

Janet.

Ah, here the problem was the opposite: the unit wouldn't come apart. It
only needed one wire to be reattached (well within the capacities of my
other half who in a past life was an engineer), but cunningly they have
engineered it so you have to buy a new unit. Oh well, only £16...

But you'd be amazed what you can do with mowers! Back in the good old
days when mowers were simpler, my brother put the whole motor through
the dishwasher. It came out gleaming and perfectly functional!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin