GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What are these please? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/145953-what-these-please.html)

Adagio 04-06-2006 10:50 AM

What are these please?

The objects at http://tinyurl.com/evmvc were spotted in our Hampshire garden
this morning. They are between 4 and 5 cm across and attached to concrete
edging slabs.

Any suggestions as to their identity would be most welcome.

David

Bookworm 04-06-2006 11:22 AM

What are these please?

Adagio wrote:
The objects at http://tinyurl.com/evmvc were spotted in our Hampshire garden
this morning. They are between 4 and 5 cm across and attached to concrete
edging slabs.

Any suggestions as to their identity would be most welcome.

David

Looks like PU Foam to me. Has anyone been doing any repairs to a
structure in the vicinity?

Adagio 04-06-2006 12:08 PM

What are these please?

"Bookworm" wrote in message
ups.com...
Adagio wrote:
The objects at http://tinyurl.com/evmvc were spotted in our Hampshire
garden
this morning. They are between 4 and 5 cm across and attached to concrete
edging slabs.

Any suggestions as to their identity would be most welcome.

David

Looks like PU Foam to me. Has anyone been doing any repairs to a
structure in the vicinity?

Err.......... No!!

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 04-06-2006 12:19 PM

What are these please?

"Adagio" wrote in message
The objects at http://tinyurl.com/evmvc were spotted in our Hampshire
garden this morning. They are between 4 and 5 cm across and attached to
concrete edging slabs.

Any suggestions as to their identity would be most welcome.

David

Looks like a lump of aggregate from the concrete which may not have been
noticeable due to moss of lichen covering which has died due to lack of
water.

Space 04-06-2006 12:30 PM

What are these please?

"Bookworm" wrote in message
ups.com...
Adagio wrote:
The objects at http://tinyurl.com/evmvc were spotted in our Hampshire

garden
this morning. They are between 4 and 5 cm across and attached to

concrete
edging slabs.

Any suggestions as to their identity would be most welcome.

David

Looks like PU Foam to me. Has anyone been doing any repairs to a
structure in the vicinity?

yep, looks like expanding foam to me too.

Adagio 04-06-2006 12:37 PM

What are these please?

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Adagio" wrote in message
The objects at http://tinyurl.com/evmvc were spotted in our Hampshire
garden this morning. They are between 4 and 5 cm across and attached to
concrete edging slabs.

Any suggestions as to their identity would be most welcome.

David

Looks like a lump of aggregate from the concrete which may not have been
noticeable due to moss of lichen covering which has died due to lack of
water.

No they are soft and "gooey" inside. I have poked one. There is a slight
unpleasant smell. It is unlikely that they have been there more than a few
days. They are not hidden and would almost certainly have been noticed.

Mike 04-06-2006 12:56 PM

What are these please?

"Adagio" wrote in message
The objects at http://tinyurl.com/evmvc were spotted in our Hampshire

garden
this morning. They are between 4 and 5 cm across and attached to concrete
edging slabs.

Any suggestions as to their identity would be most welcome.

David

Witches Butter, also called Yellow Brain Fungus

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

VisionSet 04-06-2006 01:10 PM

What are these please?

"Adagio" wrote in message
The objects at http://tinyurl.com/evmvc were spotted in our Hampshire

garden
this morning. They are between 4 and 5 cm across and attached to concrete
edging slabs.

Any suggestions as to their identity would be most welcome.

fuligo septica

--
Mike W

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 04-06-2006 01:13 PM

What are these please?

"Adagio" wrote in message
The objects at http://tinyurl.com/evmvc were spotted in our Hampshire
garden this morning. They are between 4 and 5 cm across and attached to
concrete edging slabs.

Any suggestions as to their identity would be most welcome.

David

Looks like a lump of aggregate from the concrete which may not have been
noticeable due to moss of lichen covering which has died due to lack of
water.

No they are soft and "gooey" inside. I have poked one. There is a slight
unpleasant smell. It is unlikely that they have been there more than a few
days. They are not hidden and would almost certainly have been noticed.

In which case I would go with the polyurethane theory-to which you say no.
Try setting fire to a small bit and see what happens.

Adagio 04-06-2006 02:16 PM

What are these please?

"VisionSet" wrote in message

"Adagio" wrote in message
The objects at http://tinyurl.com/evmvc were spotted in our Hampshire

garden
this morning. They are between 4 and 5 cm across and attached to concrete
edging slabs.

Any suggestions as to their identity would be most welcome.

fuligo septica

--
Mike W

Having Googled your suggestion I have to say that it is by far the best
suggestion yet. I will see how it develops. Thanks to those who have taken
the trouble to reply even those who suggested polyurethane foam!

David

Adagio 04-06-2006 02:21 PM

What are these please?

fuligo septica

--
Mike W

Having Googled your suggestion I have to say that it is by far the best
suggestion yet. I will see how it develops. Thanks to those who have taken
the trouble to reply even those who suggested polyurethane foam!

David

Having looked at
http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/po...go_septica.php I am now
certain!