Old 04-06-2006, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cheryl

Default Filling in a garden pond

We have inherited a pond in the house we have bought but have decided to
fill it in.

We do like the pond but our garden is tiny and it takes up half the space.
Plus we have begun to think long term. Ie starting a family and feel that
it is just easier/safer to fill it in a gain a bigger garden aswell.

I was wondering what would be the best way to fill to pond.. we will be
digging up lots of concrete slab, will these be ok?

plus any ideas of the best way to rehome the fishes? we dont know anyone
else with a pond!

Many thanks

Cheryl

Old 04-06-2006, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Cheryl" writes:
| We have inherited a pond in the house we have bought but have decided to
| fill it in.
|
| We do like the pond but our garden is tiny and it takes up half the space.
| Plus we have begun to think long term. Ie starting a family and feel that
| it is just easier/safer to fill it in a gain a bigger garden aswell.

If you have a tiny garden, that would leave nowhere for the children to
play but IN the pond! Messy ....

| I was wondering what would be the best way to fill to pond.. we will be
| digging up lots of concrete slab, will these be ok?

Yes. How deep is it? It may need less filling in than you think. DFo
remove any liner before filling it in, if you want to plant anything (even
a lawn).

| plus any ideas of the best way to rehome the fishes? we dont know anyone
| else with a pond!

Advertise here, on Ebay or local newsagents. If you have good-sized
goldfish, they are worth money.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Maggie

We filled in a pond by filling it partly with rubble and topped off with
soil (just remember to put a few holes in the liner with a garden fork).
Then planted some bog loving plants the pond liner holds the water and the
plants are now thriving. Its a nice alternative to filling it in and
growing more grass. We didn't have any fish so we didn't have this problem.

.uk...

Old 09-07-2006, 12:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lol

"Cheryl" wrote in message
.uk...
We have inherited a pond in the house we have bought but have decided to
fill it in.

We do like the pond but our garden is tiny and it takes up half the space.
Plus we have begun to think long term. Ie starting a family and feel that
it is just easier/safer to fill it in a gain a bigger garden aswell.

I was wondering what would be the best way to fill to pond.. we will be
digging up lots of concrete slab, will these be ok?

plus any ideas of the best way to rehome the fishes? we dont know anyone
else with a pond!

Many thanks

Cheryl

Be prepared to feel guilty when a lot of frogs turn up next spring looking
for their pond!
Lol

Old 09-07-2006, 12:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 4/6/06 21:11, in article
, "Cheryl"
wrote:

We have inherited a pond in the house we have bought but have decided to
fill it in.

We do like the pond but our garden is tiny and it takes up half the space.
Plus we have begun to think long term. Ie starting a family and feel that
it is just easier/safer to fill it in a gain a bigger garden aswell.

I was wondering what would be the best way to fill to pond.. we will be
digging up lots of concrete slab, will these be ok?

plus any ideas of the best way to rehome the fishes? we dont know anyone
else with a pond!

Please, please don't fill it in! Fence it with vertical or netting fencing
or look at putting in one of those just-below-the-surface metal grilles but
do keep it. Children have grown up beside rivers, seaside, harbours, lakes
and ponds for centuries. Take reasonable precautions but keep it! Aquatic
wildlife is struggling to survive for just this sort of reason, so please
consider enclosing your pond while necessary and imagine the future joy your
children will get from observing the wildlife as it comes and goes. We have
3 ponds here and a now 5 yo grand child. She is absolutely riveted by the
arrival of the frogs and toads in their dozens each spring, begs to be taken
out to see them on their march to the ponds on rainy nights, delights in the
spawn and then the tadpoles and spends quite some time trying to find the
little fingernail sized toads or frogs once they emerge. Visiting children
to this nursery are mesmerised when I feed the fish and they surge to the
surface for their lunch.
Fence it.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-07-2006, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 4/6/06 21:11, in article
, "Cheryl"
wrote:

[...]

I think it's a shame even to fence it but otherwise I couldn't have said the
above better.

We have ten grandchildren, only Samuel, ever fell in and he deserved it - he
was eight and just got muddy and smelly. The first thing Mia, the 3 year
old, does when she visits is to drag me to our pond - to look for frogs and
anything else she doesn't have the chance to see anywhere else. The older
boys have made little boats to 'sail', have had the privilege of naming fish
(when we had them) and have had no end of fun. The older girls have sat
romantically round it on summer evenings.

Sam's own garden has a huge pond which he helps to clear and yesterday he'd
fixed the pump so that last night's wedding anniversary and birthday party
would have a spectacular focal point. He knows all the wildlife in it - not
just frogs and newts - and to my surprise all the plants which grow in and
round it. He's now eleven and has more knowledge than most children of his
age simply because of his pond experiences, which are denied to others. This
is an inner city child by the way, not a country lad from a well heeled
family.

A pond is a great educational opportunity for all ages as well as giving the
extra dimension of a water feature. It also increases the range of plants
you can grow.

Do think again before you destroy it, it's not just a bit of water, it's a
valuable habitat for many rare as well as common species. As for perceived
danger, well a child can fall anywhere and damage itself. If you're worried
about corners being knocked off you'll have to keep children restrained and
in your sight at all times.

That's no life for anyone.

Save yourself some work and increase your joy.

Mary

Old 09-07-2006, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

Sam's own garden has a huge pond which he helps to clear and yesterday
he'd fixed the pump so that last night's wedding anniversary and birthday
party would have a spectacular focal point. He knows all the wildlife in
it - not just frogs and newts - and to my surprise all the plants which
grow in and round it. He's now eleven and has more knowledge than most
children of his age simply because of his pond experiences, which are
denied to others. This is an inner city child by the way, not a country
lad from a well heeled family.

Sorry, that should have been about Edmund, Sam's younger brother.

Mary

Old 09-07-2006, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha writes

We have
3 ponds here and a now 5 yo grand child. She is absolutely riveted by the
arrival of the frogs and toads in their dozens each spring, begs to be taken
out to see them on their march to the ponds on rainy nights, delights in the
spawn and then the tadpoles and spends quite some time trying to find the
little fingernail sized toads or frogs once they emerge.

Do you also take her down to the pond at night with a torch? During
breeding season there are far more frogs in there than you'd believe
from daytime spottings (we counted 170 this year). And newts are far
easier to spot at night.

--
Kay
Old 09-07-2006, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 9/7/06 11:44, in article , "K"
wrote:

Sacha writes

We have
3 ponds here and a now 5 yo grand child. She is absolutely riveted by the
arrival of the frogs and toads in their dozens each spring, begs to be taken
out to see them on their march to the ponds on rainy nights, delights in the
spawn and then the tadpoles and spends quite some time trying to find the
little fingernail sized toads or frogs once they emerge.

Do you also take her down to the pond at night with a torch? During
breeding season there are far more frogs in there than you'd believe
from daytime spottings (we counted 170 this year). And newts are far
easier to spot at night.

We certainly do. The sight of dozens of amphibian eyes glittering in the
torchlight is quite something! Just recently we've noticed a considerable
increase in the numbers of children coming here and they are all absolutely
fascinated by the ponds, as are their elders! I'm looking forward to seeing
how the wildlife pond develops because it's in a new incarnation as a
wildlife pond. It was where we kept the ducks until they took off one dark
and stormy night! I put some toad spawn in there back in the spring so I'm
hoping it all hatched out - it certainly disappeared, anyway! We're
deliberately keeping that pond fish free to give frogs and toads a better
chance of increasing their numbers. And at this time of year, children and
adults also enjoy watching the dragon and damsel flies hovering around the
ponds while occasionally I ask visiting children if they want to hurl some
of the fish food into the pond - always a popular move.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-07-2006, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"June Hughes" wrote in message

Well, well. Mary Fisher! How are you, Mary?

Like statistics, broken down by age and sex. Still alive and kicking though

I agree with everything you say. A pond is a great source of joy and
interest in the garden and it is just as easy for a toddler to wander into
the local paddling pool in the park as it is to fall in the garden pond.
We looked at the grids that go under the surface a few weeks ago and
although one would not suit my particular pond, it is worth pursuing for
those who are worried about safety.

I suppose so but I really don't think it's necessary. If people were so
concerned about safety they'd never get in a car again :-)

Mary

--
June Hughes

Old 10-07-2006, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k.

Sena wrote:
..

I agree, and I'd also agree that it doesn't need to be fenced off.
Children learn soon enough where not to play, and even if they do fall
in (they probably won't) then it's just a bit of an adventure.
Instead of scolding, just shove the clothes in the bath and the
children in the washing machine (or vice versa if you really must)
and let the morrow be another day. We (collectively) wrap our
children in far too much cotton wool these days, and IMO we are
damaging them by NOT letting them have mishaps. I'm a mother myself,
BTW, with 5 children ranging in age from 18 to 6.

http://www.righttoswim.co.uk/facts/d...from%20DTI.pdf

There were 90 fatal drowning incidents involving children five and under
from 1992
to 1999; relating to garden ponds (62) swimming pools (18) and other water
containers (10). Garden ponds are the main problem but less than 1 in 5
occurs in
their own garden. Most pond incidents occur in - neighbours gardens 39%,
relatives
29% or friends 10%. 80% of pond incidents occur in other people’s gardens.
Overall, 73% of all the drowning incidents do not take place at the child’s
home.

Current advice appears to
concentrate on protecting ponds/pools in your own home from children. The
data suggests
a much broader view may be necessary to reduce such incidents.

Summary – Garden Ponds
• Over the last eight years 62 children, aged 5 and under, have drowned in
garden ponds.
This is an average of eight a year. This is relatively constant.
• Over 85% involved one or two year old children.
• Boys were involved in 79% of these incidents. Boys would appear to be more
adventurous or more attracted to ponds than girls.
• Only 18% drowned in their own gardens.
• 29% drowned while visiting, or being cared for, at a relative’s home.
• 10% drowned while their parents were visiting a friend’s home.
• The largest percentage (39%) drowned in a neighbour’s pond after wandering
away
from their own home or the home of the people they were visiting.
• Boys are more likely to wander into neighbour's property than girls.
Neighbours account
for 45% of all garden pond incidents involving boys. For girls the figure
was 13%.

http://www.nationalwatersafety.org.u...ardenponds.htm

The figures show that only a small percentage of drowning deaths occur in
garden ponds and thankfully, despite the increase in popularity of water
features in gardens, the statistics are not showing an increase. However
there is no room for complacency and it is important to take preventative
measures to try and reduce the fatalities in garden ponds, one death is too
many.
Children between 1 and 2 years are particularly at risk. Water holds a
fascination for this age group and a young child will investigate any water
present in the garden. Toddlers mobility increases at a tremendous rate once
they start crawling and they can quickly escape parental supervision and get
into difficulties. Whilst mobility is increasing quickly, stability and
co-ordination remain poor. Therefore a toddler who falls into a garden pond,
even a shallow one, will find it difficult to regain their balance and stand
up. Also it is not until the age of 4 or 5 years that children begin to
understand the concept of danger and can begin to heed the warnings given to
them.

If you have young children the Forum advises you to take out garden ponds
and water features until the children are older, consider converting the
pond into a sandpit. Also, check the garden regularly to ensure that
containers that may have filled with rainwater are emptied or sealed to
prevent children gaining access. Make sure that children cannot gain access
to water butts or similar tubs by sealing them, consider not having them in
the garden whilst children are young. Empty paddling pools after use and
turn them upside down or better still put them away, so that if your child
does escape your supervision they are not at risk of drowning.

If parents wish to retain a pond then measures must be put in place to
prevent unsupervised access by young children. Consider installing a rigid
mesh or grille across the pond to create a secure cover. The grille needs to
be able to support the weight of a child and should remain above the surface
of the water at all times. If the grille is below the surface of the water,
even a couple of centimetres, it is still possible for a child to fall face
down into the surface water and drown. The grille or mesh must not sag and
should be checked regularly, particularly after heavy rain when water levels
may have changed.

If there is room, consider erecting a fence around the pond area and
ensuring any gate has a child-proof latch or lock and is self-closing.
Ensure that there are no gaps in the fence that a small child could squeeze
through and avoid horizontal railings that make the fence easier to climb. A
fence that is at least 1.1m in height with vertical railings not more than
100mm apart will present an obstacle that is difficult to climb to most
toddlers.

###

80 deaths a year of children under 5 in garden ponds & pools is 15% of ALL
deaths of children under 5
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/downloa...31/DH2No31.pdf

If you are still happy to dispense the advice in your post, then on your
conscience be it.

pk

Old 10-07-2006, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"p.k." wrote in message

... one death is too many.

So never, ever, put a child in a car.

Mary

Old 10-07-2006, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k.

p.k. wrote:

80 deaths a year of children under 5 in garden ponds & pools is 15%
of ALL deaths of children under 5
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/downloa...31/DH2No31.pdf

ignore the calculation here, it is gibbersish!

The rest is valid quotes from official sites.

pk

Old 10-07-2006, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

As someone who fetched the limp body of a 3 year old out, of a neighbour's
pond, where she should not have been, but had crawled through the fence, on
Maunday Thursday Afternoon of 1963, and brought her round, thanks to
receiving Life Saving Instructions some 5 years earlier, I couldn't agree
more.

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

pond filling in! D Kat Ponds (moderated) 6 13-07-2008 03:58 AM
filling a pond Cheryl Ponds 8 08-06-2006 07:55 AM
Filling in the Garden Pond JP Ponds (alternative) 5 28-08-2005 06:05 PM
Filling in the Garden Pond JP United Kingdom 4 28-08-2005 06:05 PM
Filling in pond Pia United Kingdom 13 08-01-2003 09:23 PM