GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hops, propagating ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/146055-hops-propagating.html)

Bowman 06-06-2006 02:40 AM

Hops, propagating ?

Can they be propagated by layering (or by air-layering) from the green
'twirly' above ground vine-bits, whatever they are called ! at this time of
year ( SW England )

thanks.

Charlie Pridham 06-06-2006 09:46 AM

Hops, propagating ?

"Bowman" wrote in message
Can they be propagated by layering (or by air-layering) from the green
'twirly' above ground vine-bits, whatever they are called ! at this time

of
year ( SW England )

thanks.

They are very easy to propagate from short internodal cuttings (set of buds
at top but not at bottom) layering and root division, indeed after you have
had one a couple of years preventing it spreading is likely to be a higher
priority than propagating it!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

mrs-baggins 06-06-2006 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowman
Can they be propagated by layering (or by air-layering) from the green
'twirly' above ground vine-bits, whatever they are called ! at this time of
year ( SW England )

thanks.

according to a book I have the best way is division

Nick Maclaren 06-06-2006 10:16 PM

Hops, propagating ?

In article ,
Janet Baraclough writes:
| The message
| from Bowman contains these words:
|
| Can they be propagated by layering (or by air-layering) from the green
| 'twirly' above ground vine-bits, whatever they are called ! at this time of
| year ( SW England )
|
| I find the quickest way is to find some short new growths coming from
| the root..about a foot long, and gently pull them up (don't cut). The
| bottom section of stem from below ground is pale and will probably have
| tiny roots already. Pot it up (or just plant out) to slightly deeper
| than it was before, and water well.

Or just dig over in the winter, and plant out some of the younger
roots. Layering is overkill.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Mike Lyle 06-06-2006 10:32 PM

Hops, propagating ?

Nick Maclaren wrote:
[...]
Or just dig over in the winter, and plant out some of the younger
roots. Layering is overkill.

I think we need to check with Bowman whether he wants his hop vines for
ornamental or brewing purposes. For brewing, isn't it right that
pollinated "cones" are what you really want? If so, there needs to be a
male plant for several females. If he's only got one, then all its
vegetative offspring will be of the same sex.

--
Mike.

Mike Lyle 06-06-2006 10:34 PM

Hops, propagating ?

Nick Maclaren wrote:
[...]
Or just dig over in the winter, and plant out some of the younger
roots. Layering is overkill.

Does Bowman want his vines for ornamental or brewing purposes? Isn't it
right that for brewing you want pollinated "cones"? If so, there needs
to be a male plant for so many females; and if he's only got one, all

Jennifer Sparkes 06-06-2006 10:39 PM

Hops, propagating ?

The message
from "Charlie Pridham" contains these words:

They are very easy to propagate from short internodal cuttings (set of buds
at top but not at bottom) layering and root division, indeed after you have
had one a couple of years preventing it spreading is likely to be a higher
priority than propagating it!

Too right Charlie, weeding is the problem not propagating!

Reminds me must get out and stop mine taking over the gutter. :(
Jennifer

Nick Maclaren 06-06-2006 11:02 PM

Hops, propagating ?

In article . com,
"Mike Lyle" writes:
| Nick Maclaren wrote:
| [...]
| Or just dig over in the winter, and plant out some of the younger
| roots. Layering is overkill.
|
| Does Bowman want his vines for ornamental or brewing purposes? Isn't it
| right that for brewing you want pollinated "cones"? If so, there needs
| to be a male plant for so many females; and if he's only got one, all
| its vegetative offspring will be of the same sex.

No, you don't. You need only female plants. Continental practice is
to use unfertilised hops.

You can also cook the shoots, like asparagus.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Bowman 07-06-2006 02:02 AM

Hops, propagating ?

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 08:46:56 +0100, Charlie Pridham wrote:
They are very easy to propagate from short internodal cuttings (set of buds
at top but not at bottom) layering and root division, indeed after you have
had one a couple of years preventing it spreading is likely to be a higher
priority than propagating it!

Thank you Charlie,
options 1 and 2 look to be the way forward then ! (I've not met internodal
cuttings before, so I'll google that )

Thanks to all who responded elsewhere ( including Janet who spotted that
this is not yet winter !)
A brief amplification : it is a Prima Donna dwarf brewing variety which was
growing well in a small pot last year, for reasons which should be glossed
over ( I am ashamed) it got left out exposed over winter and I thought that
I had killed it, but it has recently put up one small shoot, so it may yet
be rescued and with a few cuttings as protection against future stupidity
on my part, perhaps !
But I am not expecting any big brewery sessions from it for a long time yet
!!

Mike Lyle 07-06-2006 01:43 PM

Hops, propagating ?

Janet Baraclough wrote:
[...]
Posterity, please note that Mike Lyle's name does not feature in this
post. Oops....

Never heard of the feller.
--
I.M.Kelley.