Old 08-06-2006, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mr Big

Default 4 stroke Hedge Trimmers - Any experiences ??

Any body got any experiences of using 4 stroke Hedge Trimmers ??

Looking at buying a Honda, but not sure.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Me here

"Mr Big" wrote in message
Any body got any experiences of using 4 stroke Hedge Trimmers ??

Looking at buying a Honda, but not sure.

Damn fine machines.
I'm an Ex Greenkeeping Mechanic and we used them and the brushcutter
equivalent.
Excellent.
Less noise & vibration
No smelly 2 smoke farting around mixing.
Lower revs higher torque.

Go for it

Old 08-06-2006, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Me here" wrote in message

"Mr Big" wrote in message
Any body got any experiences of using 4 stroke Hedge Trimmers ??

Looking at buying a Honda, but not sure.

Damn fine machines.
I'm an Ex Greenkeeping Mechanic and we used them and the brushcutter
equivalent.
Excellent.
Less noise & vibration
No smelly 2 smoke farting around mixing.
Lower revs higher torque.

Go for it

Are spares for Honda easily available ?.

Just brought some 24inch blades for a Stihl. Cost £44 locally.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mr Big

Can you use them in the same way as a 2 stroke.

Someone has told me you can only cut in certain ways ???? as opposed
to a 2 stroke.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Me here

"Mr Big" wrote in message
Can you use them in the same way as a 2 stroke.

Someone has told me you can only cut in certain ways ???? as opposed
to a 2 stroke.

They will cut in any direction as the crankshaft has an agitator on it that
throws the oil in the correct direction when inverted.
Also they have a diaphragm carb that uses crankcase pressure to deliver
fuel.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Me here

FFS wrote in message ...

"Me here" wrote in message

"Mr Big" wrote in message
Any body got any experiences of using 4 stroke Hedge Trimmers ??

Looking at buying a Honda, but not sure.

Damn fine machines.
I'm an Ex Greenkeeping Mechanic and we used them and the brushcutter
equivalent.
Excellent.
Less noise & vibration
No smelly 2 smoke farting around mixing.
Lower revs higher torque.

Go for it

Are spares for Honda easily available ?.

Just brought some 24inch blades for a Stihl. Cost £44 locally.

Yes.
Most quality ag' merchants will stock the parts etc

Old 09-06-2006, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mr Big

Thats what I like to hear.

I'm fed up cutting hedges today, getting 2 stroke smoke in my face and
my arms tingling with vibration.

This has now confirmed my concerns about severe vibration with my new
McCulloch Gladiator 550. I shall take it back for a refund. Also as
the engine is on springs (anti vibs), and you hold the engine as still
as you can, the bar wobbles, giving an uneven cut. This has been one
of the worst trimmers I have used.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Me here

"Mr Big" wrote in message
Thats what I like to hear.

I'm fed up cutting hedges today, getting 2 stroke smoke in my face and
my arms tingling with vibration.

This has now confirmed my concerns about severe vibration with my new
McCulloch Gladiator 550. I shall take it back for a refund. Also as
the engine is on springs (anti vibs), and you hold the engine as still
as you can, the bar wobbles, giving an uneven cut. This has been one
of the worst trimmers I have used.

They will cut in any direction as the crankshaft has an agitator on it
that
throws the oil in the correct direction when inverted.
Also they have a diaphragm carb that uses crankcase pressure to deliver
fuel.

If it's a new one then the mounts to the engine *may* be loose.
There should be a sticker on it indicating the vibration levels at specific
RPM. Probably not easily measured yourself.

H&S law states allowable times for vibration in machinery, and rest periods
to prevent "White Finger" etc.

With any reciprocating machinery there will be vibration, if it's all a bit
"slack" and rattly then take it back if it's new and state the SOGA in that
it's not fit for the purpose because of excessive vibes.

Old 14-06-2006, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mr Big

then take it back if it's new ......
it's not fit for the purpose because of excessive vibes.

Your right, I took it back, and got my money no problems.
1 - excessive vibs
2 - rattly engine
3 - would not restart from hot
4 - bar accepts 18mm dia branches but only cuts 9mm, so it jams quite
often.

However I did notice that B&Q do not now accept Mountfield returns,
they refer you to the local Mountfield repair company. Now thats a
suprise, I wonder if they are getting too many returns.