GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   When to stop picking asparagus/asparagus beetle (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/146342-when-stop-picking-asparagus-asparagus-beetle.html)

Janet Galpin 11-06-2006 01:41 PM

When to stop picking asparagus/asparagus beetle

Should I be leaving my asparagus now to grow leaves? Is there a way of
telling when that should be? Joy Larkcom says 6 - 7 weeks of picking but
I'm afraid I can't remember when I started.

Also this is the first year I've noticed asparagus beetle eggs on some
of the spears and a few beetles as well. Is this likely to be a major
pest? Is this the beginning of the end of my trouble-free asparagus -
except for the challenge of keeping the weeds down, that is?

Janet G

Dwayne 11-06-2006 07:23 PM

When to stop picking asparagus/asparagus beetle

I usually pick until about now. We have harvested our last batch for this
year.

Dwayne (in Kansas)

michael adams 12-06-2006 08:47 AM

When to stop picking asparagus/asparagus beetle

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
Should I be leaving my asparagus now to grow leaves? Is there a way of
telling when that should be? Joy Larkcom says 6 - 7 weeks of picking but

I'm afraid I can't remember when I started.

On that basis it's probably best to err on the side of caution and
stop picking. And maybe mark the start date on the calendar or in
a notebook next year

Also this is the first year I've noticed asparagus beetle eggs on some
of the spears and a few beetles as well. Is this likely to be a major
pest?

They're fairly easily tackled at least according to the RHS.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...gus_beetle.asp

michael adams