GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   sycamore & clematis seedlings (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/146387-sycamore-clematis-seedlings.html)

dave or stella @ stejonda 12-06-2006 05:18 PM

sycamore & clematis seedlings

We have a sycamore nearby and each year we have to keep an eye out for
numerous seedlings which establish themselves with remarkable speed.

We also have several Clematis montanas around our garden which each year
coat the garden with their seed heads. All I do with these is let the
flymo vacuum them up from the grass and otherwise leave them where they
fall. I never see clematis seedlings.

Why the difference?

dave or stella @ stejonda

Janet Baraclough 12-06-2006 07:05 PM

sycamore & clematis seedlings

The message
from "dave or stella @ stejonda"
contains these words:

We have a sycamore nearby and each year we have to keep an eye out for
numerous seedlings which establish themselves with remarkable speed.

We also have several Clematis montanas around our garden which each year
coat the garden with their seed heads. All I do with these is let the
flymo vacuum them up from the grass and otherwise leave them where they
fall. I never see clematis seedlings.

Why the difference?

Every seed is pre-programmed to germinate in specific conditions.
Some can only germinate in bare soil; or after fire, or after a frost,
or in light sunny conditions. Clematis are fussier than sycamore.

Sycamore can germinate anywhere, in shallow or deep soil, in shade
or sun,, in wet or dry soil, in bare soil or dense growth of a
competeing plant (such as lawn).

Janet

--
Isle of Arran Open Gardens weekend 21,22,23 July 2006
5 UKP three-day adult ticket (funds go to island charities) buys entry

Nick Maclaren 12-06-2006 07:39 PM

sycamore & clematis seedlings

In article ,
"dave or stella @ stejonda" writes:

| We have a sycamore nearby and each year we have to keep an eye out for
| numerous seedlings which establish themselves with remarkable speed.
|
| We also have several Clematis montanas around our garden which each year
| coat the garden with their seed heads. All I do with these is let the
| flymo vacuum them up from the grass and otherwise leave them where they
| fall. I never see clematis seedlings.
|
| Why the difference?

I get a few clematis seedlings (mainly tangutica), but the winter is
the key. Ours is so warm and soggy that most of the clematis seeds
rot. Sycamore are better adapted to our climate.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

dave or stella @ stejonda 12-06-2006 08:45 PM

sycamore & clematis seedlings

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from "dave or stella @ stejonda"
contains these words:

We have a sycamore nearby

We also have several Clematis montanas around

Why the difference?

Every seed is pre-programmed to germinate in specific conditions.
Some can only germinate in bare soil; or after fire, or after a frost,
or in light sunny conditions. Clematis are fussier than sycamore.

Sycamore can germinate anywhere, in shallow or deep soil, in shade
or sun,, in wet or dry soil, in bare soil or dense growth of a
competeing plant (such as lawn).

Ok thanks :) (and to Nick :)

dave or stella @ stejonda

Paul Corfield 12-06-2006 09:38 PM

sycamore & clematis seedlings

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 19:05:33 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

Sycamore can germinate anywhere, in shallow or deep soil, in shade
or sun,, in wet or dry soil, in bare soil or dense growth of a
competeing plant (such as lawn).

Tell me about it - wretched things all over the place. They even take
root in gaps in concrete walls holding up the North Circular Road -
amazing when you consider there must be negligible earth or nutrition
there.
--
Paul C