Old 12-06-2006, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jww

Default home made grow bags using tesco carrier bags.

we have a small garden with a small patio. we were recently given some
japanese
cucumbers which we put in a B&Q growbag. the slugs had a field day. so I
decided to move the grow bag around the patio to try and confuse the slugs.
it is not easy to move ,so i cut it in two pieces and sewed up the cut ends
with pins.

now it strikes me (a novice) that it might be easier to move if i made my
own grow bags using tesco plastic carrier bags. [ one plant for each carrier
bag ] they certainly would be easier to move around.

any suggestions as to how to make my own grow bag? the B and Q one looks
to consist of mainly peat type compost, but i guess there are other
ingredients in their as well for nutrition for the plants? any suggestions
on what to put in the carrier bags please. thanks.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dave or stella @ stejonda

In message , jww
writes
now it strikes me (a novice) that it might be easier to move if i made
my own grow bags using tesco plastic carrier bags. [ one plant for each
carrier bag ] they certainly would be easier to move around.

Tesco carrier bags decay in sunlight. Waitrose bags don't seem to.

--
dave or stella @ stejonda
Old 12-06-2006, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"jww" wrote in message
[...]

Slugs work on scent, and can cover longer distances than you
might give them credit them for.

Rather than use carrier bags - lightweight black growpots, the things
they sell shrubs in, in the garden centre, might be a better bet.

The copper banding discussed elsewhere does really work. Epecially
where the pots aren't in contact with garden soil. As many slugs
live in the soil and so can attack plants from underneath.
And so are undeterred by copper barriers.

Otherwise you might try standing the bags or pots on something,
or suspending them from above in some way.

michael adams

them

Old 12-06-2006, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Someone Here

"jww" wrote in message
[...]

Buy a large bucket and saucer.
Buy your grow bag as normal,
cut the short end off and pour half the bag into the bucket.
Roll the bag down so that the rest of the bag sits level.

At the end of the season, store the bucket and suacer till next year.

Dave
who has five florists buckets given as free gifts because they were cracked.

Old 13-06-2006, 12:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cineman

I have a florist near me who sells the black buckets for 10p each, usually
they are glad to get rid of them.
these make excellent growing pots for tomatoes, chrysanthemums, (or whatever
the correct name is these days)
etc.
Into peat sprinkle fish blood and bone meal or get proprietry fertiliser mix
for making ones own enriched compost, incidentally, I have been advised to
use Phostrogen for tomatoes instead of tomato fertiliser, also use it as
feed for cymbidiums ( the wife grows these).
Does anyone disagree with this?
I did experiment with growing geraniums from seed and feeding one lot with
phostrogen and another lot with a.n. other fertiliser, the thickness of the
stems, and flower colour proved to me the worth of phostrogen.
regards
Cineman

"Someone Here" wrote in message
o.uk...

Old 13-06-2006, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jww

"jww" wrote in message
[...]

are you saying use the left over half bag for growing in ?