GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Beer trap for Vine Weevil? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/146410-beer-trap-vine-weevil.html)

JennyC 13-06-2006 07:02 AM

Beer trap for Vine Weevil?

Came down this morning to find a Vine Weevil in the dregs of a beer glass
left in the kitchen sink !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am now wondering whether it might work for them as well as for slugs?

--
Jenny (the Netherlands)
remove squirrel to reply

shazzbat 13-06-2006 10:16 AM

Beer trap for Vine Weevil?

"JennyC" wrote in message
Came down this morning to find a Vine Weevil in the dregs of a beer glass
left in the kitchen sink !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am now wondering whether it might work for them as well as for slugs?

Could be. Are you going to have a trial and let us know?

Steve

John McMillan 13-06-2006 11:46 AM

Beer trap for Vine Weevil?

In article om,
"Gardening_Convert" wrote:

shazzbat wrote:
"JennyC" wrote in message
Came down this morning to find a Vine Weevil in the dregs of a beer glass
left in the kitchen sink !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am now wondering whether it might work for them as well as for slugs?

Could be. Are you going to have a trial and let us know?

Steve

Jenny,

I would say that my immediate concern is why there was any beer
left ???
Surely in this heat, with the footie on and a water shortage you are
duty bound to drink every drop :) :) especially is if was good stuff

Joking apart if you are going to do a trial are you going to try
different strengths of beer etc to see which works best , also what
about cider does that work ?

I pity you if you have sufficient vine weevils to do a reasonable
trial...

JennyC 13-06-2006 08:51 PM

Beer trap for Vine Weevil?

"Gardening_Convert" wrote in message
ps.com...

shazzbat wrote:
"JennyC" wrote in message
Came down this morning to find a Vine Weevil in the dregs of a beer
glass
left in the kitchen sink !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am now wondering whether it might work for them as well as for slugs?

Could be. Are you going to have a trial and let us know?
Steve

Jenny,
I would say that my immediate concern is why there was any beer
left ???

Well it was only a drop !!

Surely in this heat, with the footie on and a water shortage you are
duty bound to drink every drop :) :) especially is if was good stuff
Joking apart if you are going to do a trial are you going to try
different strengths of beer etc to see which works best , also what
about cider does that work ?

Actually realised tonight that the glass had been standing on the patio for
a while before it was taken indoors, so the VW might have dropped into it in
the garden..........At least the house plants might be safe!

Jenny

JennyC 13-06-2006 08:52 PM

Beer trap for Vine Weevil?

"John McMillan" wrote in message
In article om,
"Gardening_Convert" wrote:

shazzbat wrote:
"JennyC" wrote in message
Came down this morning to find a Vine Weevil in the dregs of a beer
glass
left in the kitchen sink !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I pity you if you have sufficient vine weevils to do a reasonable
trial...

I know :~(
I've tried to clear the infestation but it seems hopeless..............I
have soooooooooo many pots and one always missed one Weevil
Jenny