GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Which herbicides are most lethal to rose bushes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/146427-herbicides-most-lethal-rose-bushes.html)

Uncle-C 13-06-2006 06:48 PM

Which herbicides are most lethal to rose bushes

Hi,
I'm having probs with perennial and annual weeds and was wondering
which of the current herbicides are most harmful to rose bushes and
hence not suitable for use when spraying surrounding weeds.

Cheers,
Uncle

Charlie Pridham 14-06-2006 08:51 AM

Which herbicides are most lethal to rose bushes

"Uncle-C" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,
I'm having probs with perennial and annual weeds and was wondering
which of the current herbicides are most harmful to rose bushes and
hence not suitable for use when spraying surrounding weeds.

Cheers,
Uncle

Don't spray, use a trickle bar or similar. I find Round Up particularly
unforgiving if it gets on roses.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

david taylor 21-06-2006 10:51 AM

Which herbicides are most lethal to rose bushes

I used Round up near to plants with long root systems and suspect collateral
damage.
Paraquat Diquat mixtures are deactivated by the soil,safe to use, but not
especially good at penetrating root systems.They just burn off the tops of
weeds.
Regards
David T
"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Uncle-C" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,
I'm having probs with perennial and annual weeds and was wondering
which of the current herbicides are most harmful to rose bushes and
hence not suitable for use when spraying surrounding weeds.

Cheers,
Uncle

Don't spray, use a trickle bar or similar. I find Round Up particularly
unforgiving if it gets on roses.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk 21-06-2006 11:10 AM

Which herbicides are most lethal to rose bushes

Charlie Pridham wrote:
"Uncle-C" wrote in message
ups.com...

I'm having probs with perennial and annual weeds and was wondering
which of the current herbicides are most harmful to rose bushes and
hence not suitable for use when spraying surrounding weeds.

Don't spray, use a trickle bar or similar. I find Round Up particularly
unforgiving if it gets on roses.

Or spray close up using coarse droplets and on a very still day. Some
plants are exquisitely sensitive to traces of glyphosate overspray from
a wand.

I am a bit surprised that roses are so touchy their leaves are fairly
waxy. You should cut off any plant parts that get accidentally sprayed
with any systemic weedkiller.

I have found holly, ivy and buttercup surprisingly tolerant to
glyphosate. YMMV

Regards,
Martin Brown