GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   geranium maderense (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/146451-geranium-maderense.html)

[email protected] 14-06-2006 07:43 AM

geranium maderense

I have a geranium maderense which has good leaf growth but is reluctant
to flower. Any tips to accelerate this happening as I have heard it is
quite comman. It is planted in a sunny bed with some shade. many
thanks.

Charlie Pridham 14-06-2006 08:04 AM

geranium maderense

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a geranium maderense which has good leaf growth but is reluctant
to flower. Any tips to accelerate this happening as I have heard it is
quite comman. It is planted in a sunny bed with some shade. many
thanks.

It is typically monocarpic and dies after flowering which normally takes two
years but can be 3 in colder parts. (try G palmatum its easier!)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

DavePoole Torquay 14-06-2006 08:45 AM

geranium maderense

wrote:
I have a geranium maderense which has good leaf growth but is reluctant
to flower. Any tips to accelerate this happening as I have heard it is
quite comman. It is planted in a sunny bed with some shade. many
thanks.

It's an intermittent or short lived perennial that needs full sun all
of the time. Unfortunately it is not terribly hardy except in the far
south and usually requires winter protection especially from winter
rains further inland. Folks who succeed with this species usually
fashion some sort of cover to allow the air in but keep out the wet.
Alternatively, it can be grown in a large container and overwintered in
a light, airy, frost free place. Usually, bought plants are youngsters
requiring at least a full season's growth before putting on their
lavish display of flowers. I suspect your plant is still a yearling
and needs another season.

[email protected] 14-06-2006 10:44 AM

geranium maderense

Charlie Pridham wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a geranium maderense which has good leaf growth but is reluctant
to flower. Any tips to accelerate this happening as I have heard it is
quite comman. It is planted in a sunny bed with some shade. many
thanks.

It is typically monocarpic and dies after flowering which normally takes two
years but can be 3 in colder parts. (try G palmatum its easier!)

We got a Geranium maderense to flower in its first year in a large pot
in Cork (south coast of Irl) and it was spectacular. It did not
survive the next winter but maybe the pot made it flower faster. It
was in full sun.
We also have G. palmatum and comparatively it is so easy it is a weed.
It self seeds all over and flowers in its first season. It is not as
fancy but we are fond of it nonetheless. It is like a smaller version
of maderense.

Sacha 14-06-2006 11:16 AM

geranium maderense

On 14/6/06 07:43, in article
,
" wrote:

I have a geranium maderense which has good leaf growth but is reluctant
to flower. Any tips to accelerate this happening as I have heard it is
quite comman. It is planted in a sunny bed with some shade. many
thanks.

Are you absolutely sure it's G. maderense? It's tender in most parts of
Britain. G. palmatum is more commonly seen and comes back in our garden
every year, flowering freely. Perhaps you could try a Google Image search
to make sure which you have. If it IS G. maderenese, I should think the
winter and spring we've had would have a lot to do with it flowering or not!
The one we have in a greenhouse is flowering but generally speaking, it's
not a plant we advise for people who want to grow it outdoors. We have some
customers who live in e.g. Salcombe and are prepared to risk it, however.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

DavePoole Torquay 14-06-2006 03:28 PM

geranium maderense

Charlie Pridham wrote:

It is typically monocarpic and dies after flowering which normally takes two
years but can be 3 in colder parts. (try G palmatum its easier!)

I would have said the same Charlie, but I do know of a few that are
flowering for their second and third successive years - hence my
wavering towards 'short-lived perennial'.

I certainly agree that G. palmatum is by far the easier and if anything
more reliably perennial. I have one in flower for its 4th time,
although it is noticeably weaker this year and the exhaustion of seed
production may well see it off. It seeds itself about both in and
outside the garden - one day I'm half expecting to see a hybrid with
our native Herb Robert (G. robertianum).

These Atlantic island Geraniums are splendid plants and even if they do
keel over after flowering, or are a bit on the tender side (or rather a
lot in the case of G. maderense) they are well worth a bit of effort.
I just wish they didn't stink so much!