GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lawns and Fairy rings (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/146470-lawns-fairy-rings.html)

George Robinson 14-06-2006 05:31 PM

Lawns and Fairy rings

How can I get rid of one

Kate Morgan 14-06-2006 05:34 PM

Lawns and Fairy rings

In article , george.robinson277
@ntlworld.com says...
How can I get rid of one

stand in the middle and wish it would go away :-)

Me here 14-06-2006 06:30 PM

Lawns and Fairy rings

"George Robinson" wrote in message
How can I get rid of one

The Lawn...

Dig it up!

The Fairy Ring

VERY difficult.
It's a spore "explosion" in an outward direction that gives the ring. I have
had *some* success in covering the ring (If not too large) with clear
polythene for around 2 weeks. This prevented the spores from going further
outwards.

To control an established fairy ring, aerate the entire diseased area every
4 inches, plus an additional 2 feet beyond its visible limits. Disinfect
core cultivators (or garden fork) after use to prevent accidental spread of
the fungus into healthy grass. Following aeration, soak the infected area
with water. Add a wetting agent to help water penetrate. Hand water these
areas to prevent overwatering of adjacent healthy turf.

If it's particularly persistent use a fungicide or dig out the entire area
and re turf

Mary Fisher 14-06-2006 07:38 PM

Lawns and Fairy rings

"Me here" wrote in message

[...]

Oh - I thought the question was about getting rid of a lawn. To that put a
coupld of hens on it.

I only once had a fairy ring, I loved it and was sad when it went of its own
volition.

Mary

p.k. 15-06-2006 09:18 AM

Lawns and Fairy rings

George Robinson wrote:
How can I get rid of one

Of course one can no longer use armillatox as a fungicide, but if you want
to give the fairies some soap to wash with you could try:

Armillatox - Fairy Rings

Dilution: 50:1
Coverage: as applicable

Fairy rings are portrayed by a deeper coloured ring in the lawn enriched by
decaying fungi.

The mycelium underground spreads outwards gradually widening like ripples on
a pond after a stone has been thrown into the water.

Many gardeners have used the following technique with great success:

Using a fork or auger, make a ring of holes in the unaffected turf 10 cms
from the Fairy Ring.

Thoroughly drench with the diluted solution pouring directly into each hole,
either with a watering can or a Compression Sprayer, fitted with an injector
lance.

If any of the solution overflows from the hole onto the surface grass,
lightly water the area with plain water, using a watering can.

The area within the ring may contain small toadstool-like fungi. Remove and
burn.

pk

Squeezeweasel 15-06-2006 12:50 PM

Lawns and Fairy rings

George Robinson wrote:
How can I get rid of one

I'd be quite inclined to keep it - the mushrooms it produces (fairy
ring mushrooms, also called mousseron) are delicious, and given that
Waitrose are selling them for a fortune per small punnet at the moment,
you could make yourself feel quite smug. I cooked some last week - the
recipe's
http://www.gastronomydomine.com/2006...hrooms_05.html
here.

Kids *love* them, too. Nothing like a bit of playing at fairies.

--
www.gastronomydomine.com

Mary Fisher 15-06-2006 04:31 PM

Lawns and Fairy rings

"Squeezeweasel" wrote in message
ups.com...

George Robinson wrote:
How can I get rid of one

I'd be quite inclined to keep it - the mushrooms it produces (fairy
ring mushrooms, also called mousseron) are delicious, and given that
Waitrose are selling them for a fortune per small punnet at the moment,
you could make yourself feel quite smug. I cooked some last week - the
recipe's
http://www.gastronomydomine.com/2006...hrooms_05.html
here.

Kids *love* them, too. Nothing like a bit of playing at fairies.

Oh, I'm so glad I'm not alone :-)

Mary

tom&barbara 15-06-2006 06:18 PM

Lawns and Fairy rings

George Robinson wrote:
How can I get rid of one

I'd be quite inclined to keep it - the mushrooms it produces (fairy
ring mushrooms, also called mousseron) are delicious, and given that
Waitrose are selling them for a fortune per small punnet at the moment,
you could make yourself feel quite smug. I cooked some last week - the
recipe's
http://www.gastronomydomine.com/2006...hrooms_05.html
here.

Kids *love* them, too. Nothing like a bit of playing at fairies.

Oh, I'm so glad I'm not alone :-)

Mary

No definitely not alone as I would keep one if I had one growing in my
lawn. I love to see them as it brings back so many wonderful childhood
memories! :-)

Gail

K 15-06-2006 06:39 PM

Lawns and Fairy rings

Squeezeweasel writes

George Robinson wrote:
How can I get rid of one

I'd be quite inclined to keep it - the mushrooms it produces (fairy
ring mushrooms, also called mousseron) are delicious, and given that
Waitrose are selling them for a fortune per small punnet at the moment,
you could make yourself feel quite smug. I cooked some last week - the
recipe's

That's not the only species which makes fairy rings. One of the
Clitocybe type does too, and is poisonous. It would be ill advised to
sample your fairy ring mushroom without an identification by someone who
is expert at identifying UK fungi.
--
Kay

K 15-06-2006 06:39 PM

Lawns and Fairy rings

tom&barbara writes

George Robinson wrote:
How can I get rid of one

I'd be quite inclined to keep it - the mushrooms it produces (fairy
ring mushrooms, also called mousseron) are delicious, and given that
Waitrose are selling them for a fortune per small punnet at the moment,
you could make yourself feel quite smug. I cooked some last week - the
recipe's

http://www.gastronomydomine.com/2006...hrooms_05.html
here.

Kids *love* them, too. Nothing like a bit of playing at fairies.

Oh, I'm so glad I'm not alone :-)

Mary

No definitely not alone as I would keep one if I had one growing in my
lawn. I love to see them as it brings back so many wonderful childhood
memories! :-)

I've had a ring for several years now.
--
Kay

Mary Fisher 15-06-2006 07:29 PM

Lawns and Fairy rings

"K" wrote in message
Squeezeweasel writes

George Robinson wrote:
How can I get rid of one

I'd be quite inclined to keep it - the mushrooms it produces (fairy
ring mushrooms, also called mousseron) are delicious, and given that
Waitrose are selling them for a fortune per small punnet at the moment,
you could make yourself feel quite smug. I cooked some last week - the
recipe's

That's not the only species which makes fairy rings. One of the Clitocybe
type does too, and is poisonous. It would be ill advised to sample your
fairy ring mushroom without an identification by someone who is expert at
identifying UK fungi.

That caveat was on the site ...

Mary
--
Kay

Sacha 15-06-2006 11:09 PM

Lawns and Fairy rings

On 15/6/06 19:29, in article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"K" wrote in message
Squeezeweasel writes

George Robinson wrote:
How can I get rid of one

I'd be quite inclined to keep it - the mushrooms it produces (fairy
ring mushrooms, also called mousseron) are delicious, and given that
Waitrose are selling them for a fortune per small punnet at the moment,
you could make yourself feel quite smug. I cooked some last week - the
recipe's

That's not the only species which makes fairy rings. One of the Clitocybe
type does too, and is poisonous. It would be ill advised to sample your
fairy ring mushroom without an identification by someone who is expert at
identifying UK fungi.

That caveat was on the site ...

But not on here which might have been dangerous to those who don't follow
links. Kay's intervention was timely.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Mary Fisher 15-06-2006 11:28 PM

Lawns and Fairy rings

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 15/6/06 19:29, in article
,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"K" wrote in message
Squeezeweasel writes

George Robinson wrote:
How can I get rid of one

I'd be quite inclined to keep it - the mushrooms it produces (fairy
ring mushrooms, also called mousseron) are delicious, and given that
Waitrose are selling them for a fortune per small punnet at the moment,
you could make yourself feel quite smug. I cooked some last week - the
recipe's

That's not the only species which makes fairy rings. One of the
Clitocybe
type does too, and is poisonous. It would be ill advised to sample your
fairy ring mushroom without an identification by someone who is expert
at
identifying UK fungi.

That caveat was on the site ...

But not on here which might have been dangerous to those who don't follow
links. Kay's intervention was timely.

Yes miss.

Kate Morgan 16-06-2006 09:24 AM

Lawns and Fairy rings

snipped

Quite a few years ago, you will find when if you google, there was a
thread about fairy rings. Some of the gentlemen on the n/g were standing
in the middle wishing for Charlie Dimmock. I wonder if she is still as
popular.

kate

David W.E. Roberts 17-06-2006 08:26 PM

Lawns and Fairy rings

"George Robinson" wrote in message
How can I get rid of one

As long as the fungus isn't poisonous....

I have found that the main problem with a fairy ring is the 'burnt' look of
the grass.

I think this is due to excess nitrates; if you water the area regularly and
well the grass survives and after the fungus has died back the grass looks
healthier.

In my Suffolk garden the area inside the fairy ring (I only have half, the
other half is in my neighbour's garden) is a much healthier darker green
than the area outside the ring.

My mushrooms (via help from this group) were identified as field mushrooms -
although I have never quite raised the courage to eat any. One reason is
that if they are allowed to open their gills then they seem to get infested
with small flies.
[I may be conditioned to mushrooms coming in baskets as well :-( ]

I have a fairy ring in my Berkshire garden as well; much smaller and a
completely different mushroom (also much smaller) which I haven't identified
yet. The common feature is the darker green of the grass, much like grass
after a good feed of nitrates.

So I think that fairy rings will fertilise and enhance your lawn over a
period of years.

Enjoy!

Dave R