Old 15-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Registered User

Question Lawn gone yellow under Birch tree - Advice Required

After thinking i'd really treated my lawn well this year with feeding in May, lowering cut height and now at least once a week cutting(Not to mention the overseeding and feeding last autumn.
) the hot and dry spell has brought out a problem in my lawn.

Right in the centre of my lawn i have a VERY mature silver birch tree. The roots of the tree seem very close to the surface and go for a fair old distance away from the tree.

The area where the roots are is in full sun all day and with the week long sunshine has now turned the grass very yellow and pale whilst the rest of the lawn is looking pretty healthy.

I thought i'd get the fork out and spike the area and water, only to find that the root is probably only about an inch or so below the surface.

So really my question is What Can i Do??

Is there specific seed that i could use in this area? I imagine the trees roots are taking what little moisture there is out what little soil there is and leaving the grass with nothing??

I could i try to raise the level of the soil in this area?? although i dont want to cause a "hump" if i can help it.

Is there any sort of feed that can be administered?

Would more than regular watering of this area help??

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated

Regards

Mick
Old 15-06-2006, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lawn gone yellow under Birch tree - Advice Required

Zarch writes

I imagine the
trees roots are taking what little moisture there is out what little
soil there is and leaving the grass with nothing??

Got it in one!

I could i try to raise the level of the soil in this area??

I think the tree would probably appreciate this ;-)

It's probably a matter of removing either the tree or the lawn. How
would you feel about doing something else under the tree? Put an area of
cobbles with a seat on it, grow cyclamen (which flourish in dry shade),
grow some ornamental ivies (let them grow along the ground but not up
the tree)?
--
Kay
Old 16-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Registered User

Thanks for the reply Kay.

Sadly i dont think i'll be able to put something else where this is occurring as its right in the middle of my lawn. Please see the following picture to get an idea. As you can see, the tree isnt going anywhere either! :-)

http://zarch.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/IMG_2815.JPG

I dont mind putting a bit of work in to cure the problem. So any suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

Cheers.
Old 16-06-2006, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

snip

http://tinyurl.com/f4lst

I dont mind putting a bit of work in to cure the problem. So any
suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

I'd pave that whole area and put water into it somewhere, just burbling
through stones, perhaps. Then you could grow water and shade loving plants
among them, perhaps. Personally, it doesn't bother me if a lawn isn't
perfect because I think it's a natural hazard of gardening but I think
something of the paving sort is going to be your only real alternative. We
did something similar here with an area to one side of the main lawn. It's
very shaded and absolutely nothing grew there and looked like anything worth
having. So we covered the ground in Mypex, covered that in different size
pebbles, stuck a wooden bench among them and then put some big old tree
roots round and about. It looks quite effective and makes a nice shady area
for hot days.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-06-2006, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 12:00:55 +0100, Zarch wrote
(in article ):

Sadly i dont think i'll be able to put something else where this is
occurring as its right in the middle of my lawn. Please see the
following picture to get an idea. As you can see, the tree isnt going
anywhere either! :-)

http://tinyurl.com/f4lst

I dont mind putting a bit of work in to cure the problem. So any
suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

What about a planter/tree seat something like this?
http://www.greenfingers.com/superstore/product.asp?pf_id=DD5101D

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Whitton Open Gardens weekend 1st & 2nd July; enjoy the conservation

Old 19-06-2006, 04:56 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Thompson

http://www.greenfingers.com/supersto...?pf_id=DD5101D

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Whitton Open Gardens weekend 1st & 2nd July; enjoy the conservation
churchyard recently filmed for the BBC Heaven and Earth Show and see the
Burne-Jones/William Morris window: http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Thanks for the suggestions so far. But i dont want to get rid of the grass really, although the seat does look pretty neat. :-)

I'm really after a maintenance solution. Be it a technique or product to apply.

Anyone got any thoughts or advice down that road?

Cheers.
Old 19-06-2006, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Zarch writes

Thanks for the suggestions so far. But i dont want to get rid of the
grass really, although the seat does look pretty neat. :-)

I'm really after a maintenance solution. Be it a technique or product
to apply.

Anyone got any thoughts or advice down that road?

I think we're probably all thinking that you'll be fighting a losing
battle.
--
Kay
Old 20-06-2006, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 19/6/06 16:56, in article , "Zarch"
wrote:

snip window:
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Thanks for the suggestions so far. But i dont want to get rid of the
grass really, although the seat does look pretty neat. :-)

I'm really after a maintenance solution. Be it a technique or product
to apply.

Anyone got any thoughts or advice down that road?

No. You're looking for something that doesn't exist. All plants, including
grass, need certain conditions in which to grow. Plants can be manipulated
only so far. You are not providing the right conditions for your grass so
you have two choices - no trees or no grass. It's a harsh but true fact
that one can manage things only so far. If you want the grass, get rid of
trees. If you want the trees, replace the grass. It really is possible for
you to make something very attractive out of your apparent problem if you
remember that every problem is merely an opportunity...........
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk