GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cactus Identification (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/146513-cactus-identification.html)

[email protected] 15-06-2006 02:26 PM

Cactus Identification

Hi, would anybody be able to indentify the following cacti names and
any other info on them??

http://www.drivek.com/cactus/Image003.jpg
http://www.drivek.com/cactus/Image004.jpg
http://www.drivek.com/cactus/Image005.jpg

Thanks

Basia Kulesz 15-06-2006 03:03 PM

Cactus Identification

Uzytkownik napisal w wiadomosci
ups.com...
Hi, would anybody be able to indentify the following cacti names and
any other info on them??

http://www.drivek.com/cactus/Image003.jpg

Looks like Euphorbia enopla and it is not a cactus, it's merely a succulent
(a nice plant by the way).

http://www.drivek.com/cactus/Image005.jpg

Cleistocactus straussii, perhaps?

Regards, Barbara.

DavePoole Torquay 15-06-2006 03:55 PM

Cactus Identification

Hi, would anybody be able to indentify the following cacti names and
any other info on them??

http://www.drivek.com/cactus/Image003.jpg

Not a cactus - its is a Euphorbia, but which one ... I'm not too sure -
have never bothered with them.

http://www.drivek.com/cactus/Image004.jpg

This is the former Chamaecereus sylvestrii now called Echinopsis
chamaecereus aka 'peanut cactus'.

http://www.drivek.com/cactus/Image005.jpg

Cleistocactus strausii if my eyes aren't deceiving me.

K 15-06-2006 03:58 PM

Cactus Identification

" writes
Hi, would anybody be able to indentify the following cacti names and
any other info on them??

http://www.drivek.com/cactus/Image003.jpg

This looks like a Euphorbia, ie not a cactus at all (actually the same
genus as poinsettia - euphorbias are a very varied bunch). But it will
flourish in the same conditions. I'm not certain about this
identification.

http://www.drivek.com/cactus/Image004.jpg

I know it as Chamaecereus sylvestri but this name may have been
superseded. Do a Google image search on 'peanut cactus'. Easy to grow
and to flower. Give as much light as possible, water reasonably
generously in summer leaving the soil to dry out in between waterings.
Keep dry in winter, when it will cope with temperatures down to about 40
deg F. Look out for mealybug - little white bugs and fluffy white
clusters of eggs - remove them with a toothpick. Hope you don't get red
spider - pin-pricked sized mites which are best dealt with by biological
control.

http://www.drivek.com/cactus/Image005.jpg

Cleistocactus straussii

will flower if big and old enough (yours is well on the way) but best to
grow it for its shape and spine colour. Treatment as above.

--
Kay

Cactus 27-05-2007 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Post 648212)
Hi, would anybody be able to indentify the following cacti names and
any other info on them??
Thanks

A similar request please and some questions:-
Here's a photo: http://web2k.co.uk/poASD45gk_4rff/1180271582.jpg

I've had my cactus for nearly 25 years. It's a cleistocactus - but what kind?

It has never flowered - is it supposed to?

I never know how much water to give it - it only seems to grow after i've watered it.

I only water it between say mid March to mid October - is this ok?

It seems to produce new branches but the original trunk has stopped growing and the branches are now actually taller. Is this normal?

Thanks for any replies.

Cactus.