Old 12-04-2003, 09:32 AM
Sid

Default birdsong

On this page you can hear songs by some of our feathered friends. (If the
link doesn't work or it's been mentioned here many times before, then humble
apologies.)

http://www.wildsong.demon.co.uk/LR/listening.html

Old 12-04-2003, 09:56 AM
david

On this page you can hear songs by some of our feathered friends. (If the
link doesn't work or it's been mentioned here many times before, then humble
apologies.)

http://www.wildsong.demon.co.uk/LR/listening.html

Thanks, a great site

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Old 12-04-2003, 11:44 AM
ev

"Sid" wrote in message
On this page you can hear songs by some of our feathered friends. (If the
link doesn't work or it's been mentioned here many times before, then

humble
apologies.)

http://www.wildsong.demon.co.uk/LR/listening.html

Thanks for that Sid, absolutely lovely. I loved the site and sent the link
to my sister for her to enjoy.

Old 12-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Bart Bailey

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 09:19:44 +0100, "Sid" wrote:

On this page you can hear songs by some of our feathered friends. (If the
link doesn't work or it's been mentioned here many times before, then humble
apologies.)

http://www.wildsong.demon.co.uk/LR/listening.html

And if you want to put an audio reference library in your pocket or pack
for that next birding trip........
http://www.gardensgreen.com/bird_identifier.htm

Bart

Old 12-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Bart Bailey

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 16:20:06 +0100, "JohnB"
wrote:

As long as that trip is in the USA!

Are you saying our Yellow Hammer
(State bird of Alabama)
sings differently than one of yours?

Don't the songbirds of a particular family have similar repertoire,
regardless of their geographic occurrence?
I've heard there are slight regional variations, but the basic pattern
structure is more a function of the species than it's location, isn't
it?

Bart
Old 12-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Kay Easton

In article 3e9e3591.5460981@bartman, Bart Bailey
writes
wrote:

As long as that trip is in the USA!

Are you saying our Yellow Hammer
(State bird of Alabama)
sings differently than one of yours?

Don't the songbirds of a particular family have similar repertoire,
regardless of their geographic occurrence?
I've heard there are slight regional variations, but the basic pattern
structure is more a function of the species than it's location, isn't
it?

But is your yellowhammer the same species as ours? Our yellowhammer is a
bunting - a little round sparrow sized song bird. the USA one looks more
like a woodpecker.

Our yellow hammer sings 'a little bit of bread and no cheese'
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 13-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Bart Bailey

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 17:59:39 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

But is your yellowhammer the same species as ours? Our yellowhammer is a
bunting - a little round sparrow sized song bird. the USA one looks more
like a woodpecker.

You are correct, they only share a common name, but are different birds.

Yours: Emberiza citrinella
http://www.birdguides.com/html/vidli...004a001_j2.jpg
Ours: Colaptes auratus
http://www.archives.state.al.us/images/stbird.jpg

I guess that bit of enlightenment nullifies my suggestion for the bird
song player, unless there is a similar device with a UK database.
My embarrassment is only offset by the warmth of a nugget of fresh
knowledge g

sbt

Old 13-04-2003, 10:20 AM
Larry Stoter

wrote:

But is your yellowhammer the same species as ours? Our yellowhammer is a
bunting - a little round sparrow sized song bird. the USA one looks more
like a woodpecker.

You are correct, they only share a common name, but are different birds.

Yours: Emberiza citrinella
http://www.birdguides.com/html/vidli...004a001_j2.jpg
Ours: Colaptes auratus
http://www.archives.state.al.us/images/stbird.jpg

I guess that bit of enlightenment nullifies my suggestion for the bird
song player, unless there is a similar device with a UK database.
My embarrassment is only offset by the warmth of a nugget of fresh
knowledge g

sbt

Our yellow hammer sings 'a little bit of bread and no cheese'

Bart

Other North American/European species with the same/similar common names
refering to different species include:
Robin (obviously different)
Goldfinch (obviously different)
Jay (obviously different)
Sparrows (obviously(?) different)
Blackbird (obviously different)
Oriole (look similar but different species)
Bittern (look similar but different species)

And then there are the same/related species with very different common
names:
Loon = Diver
Boobies = Gannet (but the European Gannet is known as the Northern
Gannet on East Coast of US)
Nighthawks = Nightjars
Chickadee = Tit
Kinglet = Goldcrest/Firecrest

And the the same species with similar names:
Horned Grebe = Slavonian Grebe
Eared Grebe = Black-knecked Grebe

Interestingly, my guide for North American birds gives the common name
of Colaptes auratus as Common Flicker and when living in California, I
never heard or read of this species being refered to as anything other
than a flicker. There are three races of flicker in North America - east
of the Rockies, the underwing is yellow, west of the Rockies, it is red
except for a population in the SW which goes back to a yellow underwing.

Note also, scientific names while generally better than common names for
identifying a species cannot always be relied on as there is often
disagreement and changes of view between ornithologists. The Common
Flicker, Colaptes auratus, was previously been considered as three
separate species but is now a single species with three distinct
populations.
--
Larry Stoter

Old 13-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Kate Morgan

On this page you can hear songs by some of our feathered friends. (If the
link doesn't work or it's been mentioned here many times before, then humble
apologies.)

http://www.wildsong.demon.co.uk/LR/listening.html

Thank you, much enjoyed and appreciated :-)

kate
Old 13-04-2003, 02:09 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Bart Bailey
writes
You are correct, they only share a common name, but are different birds.

Yours: Emberiza citrinella
http://www.birdguides.com/html/vidli...004a001_j2.jpg

Does this site also have the songs? The related CD does, and the home
page seemed to suggest it does, but I was using Netscrape rather that IE
to view.

Ours: Colaptes auratus
http://www.archives.state.al.us/images/stbird.jpg

I guess that bit of enlightenment nullifies my suggestion for the bird
song player, unless there is a similar device with a UK database.
My embarrassment is only offset by the warmth of a nugget of fresh
knowledge g

I've learnt things too - I had no idea you had a yellowhammer, and the
idea that it's a woodpecker-ish thing is quite bizarre to one used to
seeing this little ball of yellow fluff popping out of hedges.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 13-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Bart Bailey

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 13:51:14 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

I've learnt things too - I had no idea you had a yellowhammer, and the
idea that it's a woodpecker-ish thing is quite bizarre to one used to
seeing this little ball of yellow fluff popping out of hedges.

Just curious;
What does your "little ball of yellow fluff"
hammer at, to give it its name?
easy to see where ours got its moniker

Bart
Old 13-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Bart Bailey
writes
wrote:

I've learnt things too - I had no idea you had a yellowhammer, and the
idea that it's a woodpecker-ish thing is quite bizarre to one used to
seeing this little ball of yellow fluff popping out of hedges.

Just curious;
What does your "little ball of yellow fluff"
hammer at, to give it its name?
easy to see where ours got its moniker

I've no idea about ours. They're getting less common - it's years since
I've seen one.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 14-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Sue

"Kay Easton" wrote
Bart Bailey writes
What does your "little ball of yellow fluff"
hammer at, to give it its name?
easy to see where ours got its moniker

I've no idea about ours. They're getting less common - it's years since
I've seen one.

I remember them being quite common in Norfolk maybe twenty years ago but I
haven't seen one for quite a while either, now you mention it. According to
this page the hammer part derives from the German word for bunting,
'ammer'.
http://www.birdsofbritain.co.uk/bird...llowhammer.htm

Sue

Birdsong? John United Kingdom 82 24-04-2004 12:03 PM
More Birdsong - for urglers in Bristol FF United Kingdom 0 16-04-2004 12:05 AM
Birdsong David Hill United Kingdom 1 15-04-2004 08:42 PM
Birdsong answers... John United Kingdom 0 22-03-2004 08:16 PM
Birdsong answers... John United Kingdom 0 22-03-2004 08:12 PM