Old 18-06-2006, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
louisxiv

Default Cutting back Ribes now ok?

Hi

I'm about to erect a new fence at the back of my garden. My only concern is
that in order to do so i will have to chop back a bit of the flowering
currant which is growing there. It's at post-blossom, early berry
development stage of the season and I have no great desire to harvest the
berries. Will it, therefore, do any harm to prune it now?

Thanks

xiv

Old 18-06-2006, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message ,
louisxiv writes
Hi

I'm about to erect a new fence at the back of my garden. My only concern is
that in order to do so i will have to chop back a bit of the flowering
currant which is growing there. It's at post-blossom, early berry
development stage of the season and I have no great desire to harvest the
berries. Will it, therefore, do any harm to prune it now?

Thanks

xiv

It's likely an ideal time to prune it. If you delay pruning into later
in the year the result is likely to be a lack of flowers next spring.

(If it's Ribes sanguineum, then my experience is that you can hack it
back most times of the year, without ill effect. (I've never had cause
to try the depths of winter.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info
Old 18-06-2006, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MadCow

In message , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes

(If it's Ribes sanguineum, then my experience is that you can hack it
back most times of the year, without ill effect. (I've never had cause
to try the depths of winter.)

I've pruned it in winter when dormant, and it didn't do any harm.

--
Sue ]

For Padraig: different kinds of gardens & folliage - Berberis & Ribes Tree Flowers and Berries.jpg 244098 bytes HEMI-Powered @ [email protected] Garden Photos 0 11-05-2007 04:10 PM
Scale on Ribes Ade United Kingdom 0 10-06-2006 05:09 PM
Looking for female Ribes laurifolium paghat Gardening 2 07-03-2005 04:19 PM
Ribes ID please Sacha United Kingdom 4 01-05-2004 04:06 PM
cutting back on cutting back Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 23-09-2003 12:04 AM