GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   wormery in winter? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/146720-wormery-winter.html)

Bobby 19-06-2006 09:12 AM

wormery in winter?

I'm going to build a wormery using a wheelie bin, which will stand in my
back yard.

However, what do people do with them in the winter? Do the worms freeze or
do people bring them inside the house?

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 19-06-2006 09:44 AM

wormery in winter?

"Bobby" wrote in message
I'm going to build a wormery using a wheelie bin, which will stand in my
back yard.

However, what do people do with them in the winter? Do the worms freeze
or do people bring them inside the house?

I have had a wormery (about 100L without insulation) for the last three
years in which the worms survived each winter.
I assume that the continual addition of stuff throughout the winter and the
generation of some heat by the traditional composting process helps the
worms. When we have an old traditional hard winter then things may be
different.

Phil L 19-06-2006 10:21 PM

wormery in winter?

Bobby wrote:
I'm going to build a wormery using a wheelie bin, which will stand in
my back yard.

However, what do people do with them in the winter? Do the worms
freeze or do people bring them inside the house?

Worms are cold blooded, they've been surviving winters for millions of
years.

K 19-06-2006 11:14 PM

wormery in winter?

Phil L writes
Bobby wrote:
I'm going to build a wormery using a wheelie bin, which will stand in
my back yard.

However, what do people do with them in the winter? Do the worms
freeze or do people bring them inside the house?

Worms are cold blooded, they've been surviving winters for millions of
years.

But they burrow below frost level. What would happen if the wormery
froze solid?

--
Kay

Phil L 20-06-2006 02:23 PM

wormery in winter?

K wrote:
Phil L writes
Bobby wrote:
I'm going to build a wormery using a wheelie bin, which will stand
in my back yard.

However, what do people do with them in the winter? Do the worms
freeze or do people bring them inside the house?

Worms are cold blooded, they've been surviving winters for millions
of years.

But they burrow below frost level. What would happen if the wormery
froze solid?

our wheelie is 4ft high and over 20 inches in diameter, he's not going to
get a frost which can penetrate over 10 inches overnight.

K 20-06-2006 10:15 PM

wormery in winter?

Phil L writes
K wrote:
Phil L writes
Bobby wrote:
I'm going to build a wormery using a wheelie bin, which will stand
in my back yard.

However, what do people do with them in the winter? Do the worms
freeze or do people bring them inside the house?

Worms are cold blooded, they've been surviving winters for millions
of years.

But they burrow below frost level. What would happen if the wormery
froze solid?

our wheelie is 4ft high and over 20 inches in diameter, he's not going to
get a frost which can penetrate over 10 inches overnight.

It wouldn't have to penetrate overnight, would it? Several days on the
trot below freezing might be sufficient. Things above ground in
containers are more vulnerable than things in the ground.
--
Kay