GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Japanes Knotweed - how to kill it forever ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/146767-japanes-knotweed-how-kill-forever.html)

adm 20-06-2006 01:49 PM

Japanes Knotweed - how to kill it forever ?

Dear All,

I have a couple of areas on my property that appear to be infested with
Japanese Knotweed. I keep cutting it down, but it keeps growing right back
up again - and it grows fast so I have to go out and kill off all the new
shoots every two weeks or so.

Any idea as to how to get rif of it for ever ? I have heard that you don't
want to dig it up as it will rejuvenate even from the tiniest bit of
rhizome.

adm wrote:
Dear All,

I have a couple of areas on my property that appear to be infested with
Japanese Knotweed. I keep cutting it down, but it keeps growing right back
up again - and it grows fast so I have to go out and kill off all the new
shoots every two weeks or so.

Chemical and physical attack combined offer the best hope of success.
But it will take one or two seasons of near scorched earth policy to
get rid of it.

Any idea as to how to get rif of it for ever ? I have heard that you don't
want to dig it up as it will rejuvenate even from the tiniest bit of
rhizome.

Although this is true it is not to be so easy for it to regrow from
smaller pieces of rhizome after they have been hit with glyphosate or
SBK. I suspect that you get a better kill by using it at a lower
dilution than is normally recommended so that there is more time for
the systemic effects to permeate the entire root system.

There must be a FAQ somewhere on what people have found most effective.
It grows very fast when it is warm so you must keep on top of it
regularly.

Regards,
Martin Brown

adm 20-06-2006 02:15 PM

Japanes Knotweed - how to kill it forever ?

wrote in message
oups.com...

adm wrote:
[...]

Thanks Martin,

How about cutting the bugger down and then using a syringe to squirt
glyphosphate into the hollow stems ?

It certainly does grow fast - I hate those litte red shoots, it seems that
if I don't get them RIGHT NOW, by the time I turn my head, they've grown six
inches.....

Regards,
Martin Brown

Jim Scott 20-06-2006 02:17 PM

On 20 Jun 2006 06:02:17 -0700, wrote:

adm wrote:
[...]

Whatever you do don't seek advice from North Tyneside Council who actively,
or perhaps carelessly, planted an enormous bank of it last year. I believe
that is illegal, but who is going to do anything?
--
Jim
Tyneside UK

Bob Hobden 20-06-2006 03:40 PM

Japanes Knotweed - how to kill it forever ?

"adm" wrote

How about cutting the bugger down and then using a syringe to squirt
glyphosphate into the hollow stems ?

That is what the NT do (with SBK or similar) and it works well, kills the
roots which can be 3m down. Slow process but effective.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

JennyC 20-06-2006 04:55 PM

"adm" wrote in message
Dear All,

I have a couple of areas on my property that appear to be infested with
Japanese Knotweed. I keep cutting it down, but it keeps growing right back
up again - and it grows fast so I have to go out and kill off all the new
shoots every two weeks or so.

Any idea as to how to get rif of it for ever ? I have heard that you don't
want to dig it up as it will rejuvenate even from the tiniest bit of
rhizome.

Nuclear weapons seem to be the general consensus :~((
This may help: http://www.projects.ex.ac.uk/knotweed/control_it.htm
Jenny

Jim Scott wrote:
On 20 Jun 2006 06:02:17 -0700, wrote:

There must be a FAQ somewhere on what people have found most effective.
It grows very fast when it is warm so you must keep on top of it
regularly.

Whatever you do don't seek advice from North Tyneside Council who actively,
or perhaps carelessly, planted an enormous bank of it last year. I believe
that is illegal, but who is going to do anything?

Contrary to the wildlife and countryside act, 1981 to spread the stuff
irresponsibly
see for example

http://www.projects.ex.ac.uk/knotweed/

Some hints on knotweed management there too.

(strangely it isn't a pest in it's native habitat) Although I was once
told that our version is a unusual sport of the original Japanese
plant.

Regards,
Martin Brown

H Ryder 20-06-2006 09:11 PM

Japanes Knotweed - how to kill it forever ?

...North Tyneside Council who actively,
or perhaps carelessly, planted an enormous bank of it last year.

why?

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Jim Scott 20-06-2006 10:15 PM

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 20:11:43 GMT, H Ryder wrote:

...North Tyneside Council who actively,
or perhaps carelessly, planted an enormous bank of it last year.

why?

During reconstruction work near a large grassy bank near the coast the
contractors must have used topsoil containing the weed over the plastic
mesh.
--
Jim
Tyneside UK

echinosum 22-06-2006 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by
adm wrote:
[...]

When treating JK with glyphosate, it is important to give it a late summer treatment (spray or injection), as at this time the plant is taking resources down into the roots. It will often regrow the following season, but will be dwarfed and look odd, and not suitable for injection. It is important to keep on treating it in this following year, so you give it the knock-out chemical blow.

berttrim 13-07-2012 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adm (Post 649463)
Dear All,

I have a couple of areas on my property that appear to be infested with
Japanese Knotweed. I keep cutting it down, but it keeps growing right back
up again - and it grows fast so I have to go out and kill off all the new
shoots every two weeks or so.

Any idea as to how to get rif of it for ever ? I have heard that you don't
want to dig it up as it will rejuvenate even from the tiniest bit of
rhizome.

We have a lot of Knotweed in BC. And it's tough to get rid of.
But, if you don't mind killing this invasive species. Do what I did.

Cut the plant stems close to the ground. ROCKSALT! Put 3 or more heaping cups of ROCKSALT on the roots.
Pour about 1/2 gallon of very, very HOT water slowly on the salt.
This kills the mothers (DEAD)

Cover with a cup or 2 of ROCKSALT and let stand.
A rather aggressive way to get rid of this plant, but a permanent fix.

Make sure that there are no bushes, grass, plants, or other (alive) things that you want to keep in the vicinity of the SALT.

echinosum 13-07-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berttrim (Post 964256)
Make sure that there are no bushes, grass, plants, or other (alive) things that you want to keep in the vicinity of the SALT.

Used in sufficient quantity, salt is an effective weedkiller. But it is also a long-term contaminant, and in general I would beware of using weedkillers that can act as long-term contaminants, unless you are wanting to pave the area afterwards.

Going back to OP's original post, actually it would be a much clever trick to kill something temporarily.