GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Citrus Leaf Yellowing (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/146784-citrus-leaf-yellowing.html)

GKN 20-06-2006 07:26 PM

Citrus Leaf Yellowing

Hi there.
Could anyone please give me some advice on the yellowing between veins on
the leaves of my Lemon tree.

The tree is about two years old and has flowered well again this year with
medium sized Lemons which are still green.
It is fed with a citrus liquid fertilizer on a fortnightly basis but still
exhibits this yellowing in the leaves, mostly between the veins. Any ideas
anybody what this apparent deficiency could be?
Many thanks. Len.

Nick Maclaren 20-06-2006 08:50 PM

Citrus Leaf Yellowing

In article ,
"GKN" writes:
| Hi there.
| Could anyone please give me some advice on the yellowing between veins on
| the leaves of my Lemon tree.
|
| The tree is about two years old and has flowered well again this year with
| medium sized Lemons which are still green.
| It is fed with a citrus liquid fertilizer on a fortnightly basis but still
| exhibits this yellowing in the leaves, mostly between the veins. Any ideas
| anybody what this apparent deficiency could be?

Check over-watering, use of alkaline water and something eating the roots.
You are probably overfeeding it, too - citrus do fairly well on benign
neglect.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Saxman 21-06-2006 03:05 PM

Citrus Leaf Yellowing

Nick Maclaren wrote:

Check over-watering, use of alkaline water and something eating the
roots. You are probably overfeeding it, too - citrus do fairly well
on benign neglect.

Once I went over to summer feed, I was getting some leaf drop,
especially on branches that bore fruit. I assume this is down to
over-watering. I didn't water until the top surface dried out, but it
looks like I will have to neglect the plant.

However, I have plenty leaf growth on newer branches.

Some brochures state that citrus should be watered every week in summer?

Bob Hobden 21-06-2006 06:38 PM

Citrus Leaf Yellowing

John wrote after
Nick Maclaren wrote:

Check over-watering, use of alkaline water and something eating the
roots. You are probably overfeeding it, too - citrus do fairly well
on benign neglect.

Once I went over to summer feed, I was getting some leaf drop,
especially on branches that bore fruit. I assume this is down to
over-watering. I didn't water until the top surface dried out, but it
looks like I will have to neglect the plant.

However, I have plenty leaf growth on newer branches.

Some brochures state that citrus should be watered every week in summer?

I usually grow Bizzy Lizzies in the citrus pots and water when they start to
wilt.
Looks pretty and does a good job as an water indicator.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Sacha 21-06-2006 08:46 PM

Citrus Leaf Yellowing

On 21/6/06 18:38, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

John wrote after
Nick Maclaren wrote:

Check over-watering, use of alkaline water and something eating the
roots. You are probably overfeeding it, too - citrus do fairly well
on benign neglect.

Once I went over to summer feed, I was getting some leaf drop,
especially on branches that bore fruit. I assume this is down to
over-watering. I didn't water until the top surface dried out, but it
looks like I will have to neglect the plant.

However, I have plenty leaf growth on newer branches.

Some brochures state that citrus should be watered every week in summer?

I usually grow Bizzy Lizzies in the citrus pots and water when they start to
wilt.
Looks pretty and does a good job as an water indicator.

What an interesting idea, Bob! It's a bit like wine growers planting roses
at the end of the rows of vines because the roses 'catch' blight first.
They're a sort of sacrificial anode, I suppose!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk