Old 21-06-2006, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Weed Identification Request- Uploaded Pics

In one of my borders close to a neeighbours fence I have several weeds of
similar appearance.When I dig them up they have thin white"tails" which
often break which means I am not getting down to the root.

I have tried leaving them in situ and giving doses of "Roundup" but apart
from the weed changing colour they never look completely dead.

When I do dig them up, another 10 or so start shooting up within about 5
days.

The area in question is often damp due to being against neighbours fence.
The other side of the fence is neighbours neglected area as their
conservatory is also close to the fence.

I have uploaded pics at http://tinyurl.com/frxta and would be pleased to
know the name of this weed and whether it is possible to control it.

Thanks.

Old 22-06-2006, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Smashing Pumpkin

A closer marco photo shot of the leaves would make it clearer, but the "thin
white tails" suggest its bindweed

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/bindweed.htm

Old 23-06-2006, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

A closer marco photo shot of the leaves would make it clearer, but the
"thin
white tails" suggest its bindweed

I agree but from the pictures it looks like ground elder.

Either way if it is coming across from next door you are unlikely to be able
to eradicate it as it will always creep back. I'd just spray with
glycophospate and/or pull up any bits you see on as regular basis as
possible (at least once a week). this should at least weaken it

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)