GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pond snails (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/146864-re-pond-snails.html)

K 21-06-2006 11:33 PM

Pond snails

writes
Hello,

My last pond question! Our pond is full of snails. I think that snails
can reproduce on their own, which is why there are so many. Should I
live and let live or do I need to have a snail cull?

Live and let live. They'll mainly eat rotting plant matter so perform a
useful function. There are several species. I have big ones which are
coiled like a Catherine Wheel, ones which look like small whelks, and
one which are much smaller but have pretty patterns on the shell.

I don't think they reproduce on their own - they do mate. But they
produce masses of eggs (in elongated blobs of jelly on the sides of the
pond and underneath water lily leaves) so populations can grow fast.

Presumably they
will not leave the water and are not a threat to the rest of the
garden?

Precisely.

--
Kay