GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Runner Bean Management (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/146960-runner-bean-management.html)

Bowman 24-06-2006 02:14 AM

Runner Bean Management

When runner beans reach the top of their supports should they be 'nipped
off' to, possibly, encourage more 'sprouts' to form lower down ?

Or should the growing tip be 'nipped' before it reaches the top ?

Or, as i have done in previous years, should they just be allowed to
continue growing and to flop where they may ! ?

Robert 24-06-2006 08:01 AM

Runner Bean Management

. ..
:
: Or should the growing tip be 'nipped' before it reaches the top ?
:
: Or, as i have done in previous years, should they just be allowed to
: continue growing and to flop where they may ! ?

They should be nipped when they reach the top or just before as they seem to
keep going for a while

Bowman 25-06-2006 12:33 AM

Runner Bean Management

Thanks Robert, Nick.

So, no difference in time of earliest crop or of maximum crop ?
( not that the latter is terribly important really, we usually get
[eventually] more than we can eat/freeze ! )