GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Anemone blanda showing? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/14718-anemone-blanda-showing.html)

Hussein M. 13-04-2003 12:44 AM

Anemone blanda showing?

Hi folks,

I put some Anemone blanda - rhizomes I think they were - in a
patch. They aren't showing despite the fact that other Anemones are
not only showing but flowering.

Is anyone else growing blanda?

Huss
"For of all gainful professions, nothing
is better, nothing more pleasing,
nothing more delightful, nothing better
becomes a well-bred man than
agriculture"

$$$$$$ Cicero $$$$$$

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.

Adrian Jones 13-04-2003 03:32 AM

Anemone blanda showing?

Yep, mine have been flowering for about 4 weeks now and still going strong,
and I'm quite high up, in the Bolton area. My sister's blandas came up
about a week ago, although everything else in her garden is earlier than in
mine.

Sacha 13-04-2003 11:08 AM

Anemone blanda showing?

in article , Hussein M. at
wrote on 13/4/03 12:36 am:

Hi folks,

I put some Anemone blanda - rhizomes I think they were - in a
patch. They aren't showing despite the fact that other Anemones are
not only showing but flowering.

Is anyone else growing blanda?

All ours are in flower. Are you sure yours haven't rotted in wet weather or
been eaten by 'something'?
--
Sacha

Kay Easton 13-04-2003 02:09 PM

Anemone blanda showing?

In article , Hussein M.
writes
Hi folks,

I put some Anemone blanda - rhizomes I think they were - in a
patch. They aren't showing despite the fact that other Anemones are
not only showing but flowering.

Is anyone else growing blanda?

Yes, mine are up and showing here in Leeds.

Are they better started in the green?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson 13-04-2003 02:44 PM

Anemone blanda showing?

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

in article , Hussein M. at
wrote on 13/4/03 12:36 am:

Hi folks,

I put some Anemone blanda - rhizomes I think they were - in a
patch. They aren't showing despite the fact that other Anemones are
not only showing but flowering.

Is anyone else growing blanda?

All ours are in flower. Are you sure yours haven't rotted in wet weather or
been eaten by 'something'?
--
Sacha

I believe the rhizomes can dry out sometimes if they've stored for too
long, e.g. in a garden centre.

Another possible reason for failure?

Janet G

Hussein M. 13-04-2003 03:56 PM

Anemone blanda showing?

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 13:59:18 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Hussein M.
writes
Hi folks,

I put some Anemone blanda - rhizomes I think they were - in a
patch. They aren't showing despite the fact that other Anemones are
not only showing but flowering.

Is anyone else growing blanda?

Yes, mine are up and showing here in Leeds.

Are they better started in the green?

Thanks to everyone who replied. I think I shall be patient - the
rhizomes were quite small.

Huss

Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.

Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson 13-04-2003 06:08 PM

Anemone blanda showing?

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

In article , Hussein M.
writes
Hi folks,

I put some Anemone blanda - rhizomes I think they were - in a
patch. They aren't showing despite the fact that other Anemones are
not only showing but flowering.

Is anyone else growing blanda?

Yes, mine are up and showing here in Leeds.

Are they better started in the green?
--
Kay Easton

I don't think I've ever seen them offered in the green. Sometimes garden
centres have them growing in pots which I suppose achieves the same
effect - but expensively.
There is a problem often though with dried out rhizomes. It's worth
trying to get them from somewhere reliable - mail order e.g. Peter
Nyssen is a reasonable bet. It's also reckoned to be quite a good idea
to soak them for a few hours if in doubt.

Janet G

Michael Berridge 15-04-2003 12:44 AM

Anemone blanda showing?

Sacha wrote in message ...

All ours are in flower. Are you sure yours haven't rotted in wet

weather or
been eaten by 'something'?
--

Mine have been in flower for several weeks as well here in Lincolnshire.
I would have thought that any would be well on by now, so, as Sacha

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Hussein M. 16-04-2003 01:20 AM

Anemone blanda showing?

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 23:53:08 +0100, "Michael Berridge"
wrote:

Sacha wrote in message ...

All ours are in flower. Are you sure yours haven't rotted in wet

weather or
been eaten by 'something'?
--

Mine have been in flower for several weeks as well here in Lincolnshire.
I would have thought that any would be well on by now, so, as Sacha
says, its likely that they have rotted, or been eaten, they are usually
very tough and spread well.

Actually they came from a very reputable source which has never
failed me - their plants are always vigourous.

You know what? I reckon the grape hyacinths which are in the same
area smothered them out. Yes, OK. the man who pretended he had them
under control has mud on his face.

I've been weeding grape hyacinths today as a result. Interesting. It
doesn't matter how deep Garden Fork inadvertently plonked them, they
still reach the surface (blind as bats). Those carelessly left on the
surface of the soil don't seem to mind at all and seem to flower
brilliantly. Toughies.

Actually I'm rather relieved about the blanda because when I cocked
my head and looked at that bed, the they would have been rather too
gaudy. I hate banishing plants which I have welcomed to a home, so
they would probably have been moved round and round the mulberry bush
(like the aforementioned grape hyacinths) until exhaustion or my bad
manners caused an premature demise. And then there would have been the
guilt (which I no longer feel for the hyacinths - jolly good compost)

So, I'm going to give blanda a miss methinks and enjoy the more dainty
anemones which I have elsewhere.

Hussein
Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.