GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Recommend a rose for low trellis (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/147239-recommend-rose-low-trellis.html)

Jim 30-06-2006 10:35 PM

Recommend a rose for low trellis

Hi all

I have a low trellis at the rear of my garden which is looking rather bare
so I'm looking for something to pretty it up. The trellis is approx 2 ft
high and 8ft wide, it faces south east and gets some sun for approx 2/3 of
the day.

I was thinking of a climbing rose but wasn't sure if 2ft was too low to do
it justice, also I don't want anything too rampant which presumably rules
out ramblers. Not too fussed about colour etc although something with a long
flowering season would be nice.

Any recommendations of a suitable rose or failing that some other climber
would be great

Thanks

Jim

H Ryder 01-07-2006 10:35 AM

Recommend a rose for low trellis

Maybe a ground cover rose would work? I don't know but would have thought
that you could attach it to your trellis. Or a non-rampant rambler. I'd
guess that you'd need something with pretty bendy stems to be able to attach
it to this space.

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

fenwoman 01-07-2006 04:02 PM

Recommend a rose for low trellis

Jim wrote in message
k...
Hi all

I have a low trellis at the rear of my garden which is looking rather bare
so I'm looking for something to pretty it up. The trellis is approx 2 ft
high and 8ft wide, it faces south east and gets some sun for approx 2/3 of
the day.

I was thinking of a climbing rose but wasn't sure if 2ft was too low to do
it justice, also I don't want anything too rampant which presumably rules
out ramblers. Not too fussed about colour etc although something with a

long
flowering season would be nice.

Any recommendations of a suitable rose or failing that some other climber
would be great

Why bother? Just plant rose bushes in front of it.

Jim 01-07-2006 08:57 PM

Recommend a rose for low trellis

Why bother? Just plant rose bushes in front of it.

Fair comment but what I didn't go into in my first post is that I've got a
sunken deck area the other side of the trellis, The idea being that
something growing over the trellis would give that area a bit more privacy
but I could also appreciate the climber from both sides.

Cheers

Jim