GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Crickets in Bolton (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/147285-crickets-bolton.html)

Jane 02-07-2006 12:32 PM

Crickets in Bolton

I never knew we had crickets up here in the wilds of Bolton, but this
morning my garden was visited by a very noisy, bright green insect (cricket?
grasshopper?).

DavePoole Torquay 02-07-2006 06:05 PM

Crickets in Bolton

Jane wrote:
I never knew we had crickets up here in the wilds of Bolton, but this
morning my garden was visited by a very noisy, bright green insect (cricket?
grasshopper?).

Yes green bush crickets seem to be on the increase. They are lovely
things, do no harm to plants and make a very pleasant noise at sunset.
They seem to have arrived/come out earlier this year and last night
were quite shrill as it got dark.

DavePoole Torquay 03-07-2006 07:35 AM

Crickets in Bolton

Janet Baraclough wrote:

I don't know about crickets, but the wilds of Bolton were full of
noisy grasshoppers WIWAL. The very young ones are green, they go brown
with age; only about an inch long.

No these are quite robust - a good couple of inches long, bright green
with green wing cases and very long antennae. They are the noisiest of
our native crickets and can make quite a racket when they're at full
pelt ... as they were for several hours last night :|