Old 02-07-2006, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Draven

Default Hailstones the size of marbles in Bristol

It's just happened.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , Draven
writes
It's just happened.

How big is a marble?

--
Malcolm

14 mm dia

http://www.astro.washington.edu/labs...s/marbles.html

Mike
www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Old 02-07-2006, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Malcolm wrote:
In article , Draven
writes
It's just happened.

How big is a marble?

about the same size as a hailstone.

Isn't it funny how no one ever says, "we've just had hailstones the size of
lentils"s

Old 02-07-2006, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

Isn't it funny how no one ever says, "we've just had hailstones the size
of
lentils"s

tha't because teh big ones are not round adn the small round ones are
hailstone size so you'd be saying "we've just had hailstones the size of
hailstones"

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 03-07-2006, 08:34 AM
Registered User

Location: Bristol

What part of Bristol, nothing in the North area.
__________________
Carrot Cruncher.

Old 03-07-2006, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k.

Phil L wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
In article , Draven
writes
It's just happened.

How big is a marble?

about the same size as a hailstone.

Isn't it funny how no one ever says, "we've just had hailstones the
size of lentils"s

That's because the big ones can cause serious damage - our Company car
needed a new roof after being caught in an overnight hail storm in France
last summer. The nice shiny roof had the texture an appearance of hammerite!

pk

Old 03-07-2006, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Draven" wrote in message
. uk...
It's just happened.

On the way home from Scotland to Yorkshire last night we saw the most
stunning lightning displays, horizontal forking in various colours. It was
horribly hot though, until we got home when it rained the sort of rain you
don't get often but is very good at clearing and freshening the air.

And making vegetables shoot up :-)

Mary

Old 03-07-2006, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , Draven
writes
It's just happened.

How big is a marble?

Abot this big!

You are not telling us you have NEVER played marbles?

Alan

--
Malcolm

Old 03-07-2006, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

"p.k." wrote in message
Phil L wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
In article , Draven
writes
It's just happened.

How big is a marble?

about the same size as a hailstone.

Isn't it funny how no one ever says, "we've just had hailstones the
size of lentils"s

That's because the big ones can cause serious damage - our Company car
needed a new roof after being caught in an overnight hail storm in France
last summer. The nice shiny roof had the texture an appearance of

hammerite!

Back in the 1970s, my car needed a new bonnet and bootlid, and repairs to
the roof, after a hailstorm. The cold frames in the garden were also smashed
by the hailstones, which were much bigger than marbles - some of them seemed
to be a couple of inches in diameter.

Old 03-07-2006, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Mary Fisher" wrote
On the way home from Scotland to Yorkshire last night we saw the most
stunning lightning displays, horizontal forking in various colours. It was
horribly hot though, until we got home when it rained the sort of rain
you don't get often but is very good at clearing and freshening the air.

And making vegetables shoot up :-)

Wots rain? :-(
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-07-2006, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote
On the way home from Scotland to Yorkshire last night we saw the most
stunning lightning displays, horizontal forking in various colours. It
was horribly hot though, until we got home when it rained the sort of
rain you don't get often but is very good at clearing and freshening the
air.

And making vegetables shoot up :-)

Wots rain? :-(

Oh, it's just water. God shows his opinion of certain places by weeing on
them ...

Mary
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-07-2006, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote
On the way home from Scotland to Yorkshire last night we saw the most
stunning lightning displays, horizontal forking in various colours. It
was horribly hot though, until we got home when it rained the sort of
rain you don't get often but is very good at clearing and freshening the
air.

And making vegetables shoot up :-)

Wots rain? :-(

It's sort of little drops of water, which for some reason, now and again,
fall out of the sky, if you have a little patience, and if you keep looking,
you might, one day, see some.

It's an experience not to be missed!

Alan

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-07-2006, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

When we played the marbles were the size of big hailstones.

Sue W

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , Alan Holmes
writes

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , Draven
writes
It's just happened.

How big is a marble?

Abot this big!

You are not telling us you have NEVER played marbles?

No, but it was a very long time ago........:-)

--
Malcolm

Old 03-07-2006, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Sue" wrote in message
When we played the marbles were the size of big hailstones.

I've never seen hailstones as big as the marbles we used to play with!

Alan

Old 03-07-2006, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote
On the way home from Scotland to Yorkshire last night we saw the most
stunning lightning displays, horizontal forking in various colours. It
was horribly hot though, until we got home when it rained the sort of
rain you don't get often but is very good at clearing and freshening the
air.

And making vegetables shoot up :-)

Wots rain? :-(

Oh, it's just water. God shows his opinion of certain places by weeing on
them ...

Mary
--
Regards
Bob Hobden
17mls W. of London.UK

Here in North Staffordshire it rain very heavily. Not unexpected I
spent the early morning watering all tubs, pots and newly planted trees.
Never mind the water butts have been replenished.