Old 05-07-2006, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pea_thrower

Default Black butterfly

Can somebody please help me to identify a black butterfly I've seen a
couple of times over the past month in my garden. As far as I've been
able to ascertain, it is jet black with no other markings (although it
won't stay still longer enough for me to be certain).

Old 05-07-2006, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

In message .com,
pea_thrower writes
Can somebody please help me to identify a black butterfly I've seen a
couple of times over the past month in my garden. As far as I've been
able to ascertain, it is jet black with no other markings (although it
won't stay still longer enough for me to be certain).

A far as I am aware there are no plain black butterflies native to
Britain, however, there are some which could perhaps appear to be black
- the Ringlet, upper wing surface is dark brown, or the Purple
hairstreak which is dark brown (purple in the sun). You may want to
have a look at
http://www.butterflygarden.co.uk/az_butterflies.htm or the links at
http://www.butterfly-guide.co.uk/links.htm
--
Robert
Old 06-07-2006, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin

The message
from Robert contains these words:

In message .com,
pea_thrower writes
Can somebody please help me to identify a black butterfly I've seen a
couple of times over the past month in my garden. As far as I've been
able to ascertain, it is jet black with no other markings (although it
won't stay still longer enough for me to be certain).

A far as I am aware there are no plain black butterflies native to
Britain, however, there are some which could perhaps appear to be black
- the Ringlet, upper wing surface is dark brown, or the Purple
hairstreak which is dark brown (purple in the sun). You may want to
have a look at
http://www.butterflygarden.co.uk/az_butterflies.htm or the links at
http://www.butterfly-guide.co.uk/links.htm
--
Robert

Ringlets have certainly been flying in the last couple of weeks rond
here (S. Lincs) and appear black. They actually have a couple of faint
spots on each wing but they rarely settle and you can spend ages waiting
for them to be still enpough to see clearly.

Janet G
Old 06-07-2006, 07:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pea_thrower

Janet Galpin wrote:
[...]

Thank you Janet & Robert, the mystery remains unsolved. The butterfly
I've seen that most resembles mine is a black swallowtail, but.........
I don't believe it can be found in the uk and I could not spot any
markings whatsoever on it.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Malcolm wrote:

In article .com,
pea_thrower writes
Can somebody please help me to identify a black butterfly I've seen a
couple of times over the past month in my garden. As far as I've been
able to ascertain, it is jet black with no other markings (although it
won't stay still longer enough for me to be certain).

Although no pure black unmarked butterfly occurs in the UK, it could be
one of a number of very dark ones. As with all identification requests,
it is helpful if you can say roughly where you live - county or nearest
town. Some species are widespread, others are very localised, so your
whereabouts may help pin it down.

Are you sure that it is a butterfly and not a moth? I only ask because
I have difficulty in telling which from what.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Malcolm wrote:
In article .com,
pea_thrower writes
Can somebody please help me to identify a black butterfly I've seen a
couple of times over the past month in my garden. As far as I've been
able to ascertain, it is jet black with no other markings (although it
won't stay still longer enough for me to be certain).

Although no pure black unmarked butterfly occurs in the UK, it could be
one of a number of very dark ones. As with all identification requests,
it is helpful if you can say roughly where you live - county or nearest
town. Some species are widespread, others are very localised, so your
whereabouts may help pin it down.

--
Malcolm

Malcolm,

I live in Dorset.

Cheers

Old 04-09-2019, 01:47 PM
Registered User

Default More black butterfies

found your question while looking for a name for the first all Black Butterflys we had ever seen. On Saturday 31st August 2019 while out walking our dog at the lake in Warminster, my wife and I were astonished to see a totally black butterfly we had never seen one before. It fluttered around quite close to us for two or three minutes and we could clearly see that it was jet black with no other markings at all. Just to put the icing on the cake it was joined by another one and the pair flew off together.

Cantigny C Not-a-butterfly on the butterfly weed.JPG (1/1) Just Plane Noise Garden Photos 0 27-07-2009 06:35 PM
Phal. black butterfly Phalguy Orchids 0 18-03-2005 12:45 PM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk ssspp Unique Too Roses 7 16-05-2003 04:08 AM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk ssspppOOOTTTSSSS!!!!!! Roger Roses 6 12-05-2003 10:56 PM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk Radika Kesavan Roses 0 11-05-2003 04:44 PM