Old 09-07-2006, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

Default dead clematis from wilt, should I compost ??

I have had a Clematis die from wilt , should I compost the dead parts
of the Clematis.

It has since regrown from ground level which is nice

Old 10-07-2006, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Gardening_Convert" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have had a Clematis die from wilt , should I compost the dead parts
of the Clematis.

It has since regrown from ground level which is nice

It is ok to do so as the wilt causing fungus only lives in air not soil
(hence the plant regrowing) but I always burn my clematis prunings!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 10-07-2006, 03:12 PM
Registered User

Location: Manchester

out of interest charlie whats your reasoning behind this? is it u don't want to spread disease and you don't think your compost heap will be hot enough to kill spores for example.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Pridham
I always burn my clematis prunings!
Old 11-07-2006, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Tiger303" wrote in message
Charlie Pridham Wrote:
I always burn my clematis prunings!

out of interest charlie whats your reasoning behind this? is it u don't
want to spread disease and you don't think your compost heap will be
hot enough to kill spores for example.

thanks

--
Tiger303

I do not compost any garden rubbish but put it straight on the ground so I
assume there would be a small possibility of infection if the wilted
clematis had clematis wilt (most don't) In winter when most of the cutting
back happens I shred and drop on the ground as normal as I have a lot of
clematis, but I can't quite bring myself to do it for wilted stems during
summer!

Old 30-04-2007, 02:30 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardening_Convert View Post
I have had a Clematis die from wilt , should I compost the dead parts
of the Clematis.

It has since regrown from ground level which is nice
If it were me, I wouldn't take the risk of composting the dead parts of a wilted clematis. Most clematis experts, including Raymond Evison, suggest burning the affected stems. I have had loads of trouble with wilt and I just wouldn't take the chance of having it spread any further.

Garde_nguy