Old 09-07-2006, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Please Help me with the RAT/MICE problem

We have 2 sheds outside in our back yerd. They are quite a distance
from out house and I do not have a problem in the house, but one of the
sheds has been taken over with these critters. we clean the shed out
monthly and do not keep things like paper in there. we store ice chests
and 5 gal buckets etc. Now they have eaten 5 ice chests and a plastic
bouncing horse that we stored in there. they all have huge holes in
them, and have been thrown away as of this evening. The floor is
covers in droppings and it seems to be getting worse. We have placed
several boxes of Decon and we thought the problem was resolved. It was
not until I just read that the mice/rats will eat the poison and get
ill but will not die and then are learly of the poison. we will find a
couple of rats a month in the chicken coop, that is next to the shed,
and we discard of them. this is normally right when the decon is put
out and then they stop dying near the chickens, it could be that the
critters go in there for the water and the chickens just attack them.
Please help me with this problem,, before they enter my other shed
(that has all my husbands tools, fridge, and storage items. we have not
seen them in there yet.

Any help please!!!!!!
Sally

Old 09-07-2006, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 22:14:06 +0100, wrote
(in article . com):

[...]

Put down simple mousetraps http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouse_trap or get a
cat (remove the poison first, obviously). They will get in the tiniest hole
in your shed.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
bed and breakfast near Ludlow:

Old 10-07-2006, 12:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Put down nipper traps, bait with peanut butter, check them every day, you
will soon find they will all disappear!

You can get nipper traps for rats as well, but I don't know what you would
bait those with.

An alternative to the nipper traps for rats is a rat/mink trap from Mole
Valley Farmers who have branches in Somerset, they will also tell you how to
bait them.

It is not wise to use poison when they may be eaten by other animals.

Alan

Old 10-07-2006, 01:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally

Alan Holmes wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Thank you for responding and helping me out!! Is a nipper trap the same as the wood traps that you find in a store that just snap with the mouse stands on them? we will try this and I think we will put many of them so they can not get around them, We have new houses being built near us that use to be nothing but fields, so I assume they are coming from there. we had a couple here and there but like I said it is worse, and I think because of the building. Thank you so much, I will let you know how it works..

Sally

Old 10-07-2006, 01:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally

Sally Thompson wrote:
[...]

thank you for responding to this, I did not think anyone would hear my
plea!!!! I am going to try that with the trap, I have 2 cats but
unfortunaly they are inside cats and I think they are to lazy at this
point in their lives to even move if they see a mouse lol
I feel like I need to just cover the entire floor with the traps, at
this point I don't mind picking up dead mice, I bought the gloves and I
am ready lol
Once again thank you for you advice
Sally

Old 10-07-2006, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Sally" wrote in message
ups.com...

Alan Holmes wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

You don't need to put too many down, I would have thought two or three would
have been enough, it may take a few days to clear them all, but it might be
a bit dangerous to use too many.

Place them near a wall, as mice generally tend to travel close to walls,
rather than cross a room.

Alan

Old 10-07-2006, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david taylor

"Sally" wrote in message
ups.com...

Alan Holmes wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

You may get 20 baby mice in a litter and if the population has taken off you
will have to resort to poison.
$0 years ago I shared a flat with three other chaps. There were mice in the
flat and we had a trap and scorecard on the kitchen wall.
We had got up to about 6 when two of us-the most fastidious were called away
to commission a plant on the other side of the country.
When we got back the place was overrun with mice. trapping can be messy as
the poor creatures are not always caught cleanly. I bought some poison bait
and the mice actually broke into a drawer to eat it, thus solving the
problem.
Rats are more cautious and difficult to trap-and poison is a better
solution.
Cats are not good at catching mice unless they have been trained by a
parent. Our cat was from farm cat stock. She was a good mouser and when she
was alive used to catch both rats and mice. Curiously presumably because she
was colour blind and long sighted she could only spot mice if they moved.
Tom and Jerry cartoons are a reasonable summary of the capabilities of the
average untrained cat.
Regards
David T

Old 10-07-2006, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
kenty;\)

"david taylor" wrote in message

"Sally" wrote in message
ups.com...

Alan Holmes wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Can you make the shed more secure?Patch up holes etc.They will be doing
most of the damage at night so are finding it easy to enter.Mice damaged
loads of stuff in my shed,i cleared it out and screwed a piece of wood
where they were entering.I havent had a problem since.If there is no way
of making the shed hole free ,then i think you will be fighting a long
losing battle.You can put as much poisen down as you like but they will
always come back.I have a plug in electric rodent repellar called pestfree
by Viatek which works a treat.

Cheers Keith

Old 10-07-2006, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

wrote:
[...]

I doubt that you have rats AND mice, rats prey on mice and mice will not go
anywhere near rats, their nests, droppings, scent or anything else rat
flavoured.
Also I would be wary of putting down poison where chickens are being kept,
even the rats' droppings will be toxic....it's obviously the chicken feed
which is interesting the rats, the sheds are just a bonus, being dry, near
to a food source and fairly safe....I've never heard of the word 'learly'
before but I assume it means that the ras are eating the poison and then
becoming immune to it? - this has always been a problem and there are
different types of poison which are best used in rotation, although I would
use extreme caution with regards to the chickens.
It might seem too obvious, but the first thing you want to do is to fill
holes, gaps, runs and anywhere else that the rats are using as means of
getting about, holes in soil are best filled with water and rammed with
canes to make the insides like mud (in which they cannot burrow) and also to
drown any lurkers, fill holes in walls and floors with broken glass mixed
with either mud or mortar, if the shed is wood you will need to line the
bottom with metal plate and the same with the door, it doesn't need to be
thick, any cheap scrap metal will do, even wire mesh providing the holes are
half an inch or less.
If you go with the poison (and it's the only way to control an infestation),
I would advise putting water down so that the poisoned rats don't venture
into the coop, traps don't work for rats, unless you only have one or two,
and you haven't.