GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Garden catologues "Free" offers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/147735-garden-catologues-free-offers.html)

Broadback 15-07-2006 06:25 PM

Garden catologues "Free" offers

I hate them. Why if I want to buy, say, 60 daffodils am I offered "free"
tulips? Can they not price their plants properly? The only offer I can
go along with is free postage if your order is over £X, that is
understandable and worth while. It's like "free" mats with cars, if I
want them I'll buy them, it is preferable to pay less for the car. Rant
over. Catalogue

Graculus 16-07-2006 11:55 AM

"Broadback" wrote in message
I hate them. Why if I want to buy, say, 60 daffodils am I offered "free"
tulips? Can they not price their plants properly? The only offer I can go
along with is free postage if your order is over £X, that is understandable
and worth while. It's like "free" mats with cars, if I want them I'll buy
them, it is preferable to pay less for the car. Rant over. Catalogue

It's called "marketing" and is used across all types of purchasing. The
disadvantage of this sort of thing in catalogues is that there is no way to
negotiate the price down if you don't want the freebie, unlike in a
(no-chain) shop.

Janet Tweedy 16-07-2006 12:01 PM

Garden catologues "Free" offers

In article , Broadback
writes
I hate them. Why if I want to buy, say, 60 daffodils am I offered
"free" tulips? Can they not price their plants properly? The only offer
I can go along with is free postage if your order is over £X, that is
understandable and worth while. It's like "free" mats with cars, if I
want them I'll buy them, it is preferable to pay less for the car. Rant
over. Catalogue

I like Moles seeds who give a discount if you order early in the season.
Most sensible

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy